Anyone experienced with creating terrariums?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have always thought terrariums were cool, but difficult to create. You need an aquarium and all sorts of other stuff and it just seems really complicated to get it right. Recently I saw some pictures of amazing terrariums and I really want to try making my own. Do any of you have any experience creating them? Any tips you can share?

Reaction score
Right now I don't have the space. Maybe in the future. It looks great and it makes me think about Jurassic Park :)))

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Right now I don't have the space. Maybe in the future. It looks great and it makes me think about Jurassic Park :)))

You don't need a lot of space. That is why terrariums are ideal. You create a miniature garden in a jar using plants that don't require a lot of growing room.

Reaction score
I think I'll try it some day. I think I can use this activity to relieve the stress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think I'll try it some day. I think I can use this activity to relieve the stress.

Good idea! It probably would be very rewarding to build them as a stress reliever and even give them away to friends. I think a terrarium could be a good way to have plants in the bedroom and not worry about respiratory issues since you can enclose them.

Reaction score
I've already bookmarked the page with the info. I'll study it more thoroughly with my boyfriend tonight. Maybe I can convince him too.

Reaction score
I am not familiar with Terrarium's but after checking out the link above and looking at a few images, I have the perfect light green, plastic bottle that I am going to start creating my own with.

Thanks for this thread, I do believe I just might have me a new hobby. Here's one image I like ..

bottle-terrarium.jpg

I added a "How to" section to an article about plants, you can see the section on Terrarium's here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am not familiar with Terrarium's but after checking out the link above and looking at a few images, I have the perfect light green, plastic bottle that I am going to start creating my own with.

Thanks for this thread, I do believe I just might have me a new hobby. Here's one image I like ..

bottle-terrarium.jpg

I added a "How to" section to an article about plants, you can see the section on Terrarium's here.

I have always been enamored with terrariums. I think it would be a great hobby and potentially a good business also. I love the big apothecary jar ones like these below, and I've seen some cute miniature ones as well.

2008-04-02-terrarium.jpg

Reaction score
You're right Chanell, creating Terrariums would be a very good side business and thank you, because you have given me a great idea .. I'm going to start one and if you care to join forces, since you mentioned this idea, let me know. In a week or two I'll create the website, but it will take some time to create and grow enough to post and sell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'll keep that in mind. I kind of have my hands full at the moment, but I have thinking of making some for next year's art markets and festivals. There are a lot of miniatures from necklaces to refrigerator magnets to hanging ornaments, as well as the nice jar and aquarium sizes that I think people who don't want to do the work would be interested in.

Reaction score
I like the idea very much, but could there be a problem about mold growing inside?
Would charcoal help to prevent that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Ask a Question