Anyone able to tell me what this is?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I just recently found this plant- someone had left it/thrown it out. I decided to take it but have no idea what it is. It is hydroponically planted and the stem is not looking too healthy and was hoping someone would be able to tell me what it is so I can find some info on how to bring it back to health. Thanks!

Attachments

• BD270FDF-8EFD-4A91-AA77-A3CCD4BF331F.jpeg
    BD270FDF-8EFD-4A91-AA77-A3CCD4BF331F.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's an Alocasia, which variety I don't know, but requirements are mostly the same. Lots of light, keep moist. In a situation like yours, let the water level get down to about an inch deep and then add more, but not to the top.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This looks like one of the Alocasia hybrids involving A. sanderiana. The most common of these is called the Polly Alocasia (A. x amazonica).

Alocasia wants regular moisture but I would not grow it in that glass vessel if it does not have drainage holes. The media looks like expanded clay pellets. You can try growing it hydroponically, but it will need more frequent watering and fertilizing. Ii might be easier to grow it in potting soil. Inany case, I would fertilize it now, right after I re-potted it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This looks like one of the Alocasia hybrids involving A. sanderiana. The most common of these is called the Polly Alocasia (A. x amazonica).

Alocasia wants regular moisture but I would not grow it in that glass vessel if it does not have drainage holes. The media looks like expanded clay pellets. You can try growing it hydroponically, but it will need more frequent watering and fertilizing. Ii might be easier to grow it in potting soil. Inany case, I would fertilize it now, right after I re-potted it.
Thank you so much for the information! You mentioned fertilizing, is there a specific kind that is best for these plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's an Alocasia, which variety I don't know, but requirements are mostly the same. Lots of light, keep moist. In a situation like yours, let the water level get down to about an inch deep and then add more, but not to the top.
Thank you for the information!

Ask a Question