Any way to ID seedlings early?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi!
I have a bunch of seedlings sprouting up in a garden of a house I just bought a few months ago. I ripped most of the garden out (it was basically dead by the time I moved in *sad*) but figured I'd have a few sprouts from any leftovers once spring hit.
We finally have some spring weather! Yay! There's not as many sprouts as I'd thought but still a few! I might want to keep them but I'm new to this and don't know how to identify them.
Anyone have a helpful website/app that they use? Or is there anyone here that is an *ExPeRt* seedling identifier? If so, I'll post some photos of them!

BONUS QUESTION: I have a shit ton of either garlic or scallions sprouting up, how do i know the difference? They look similar to me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is difficult with seedlings if you have no idea what they might be. At the young stage you might be able to transplant so you have similar ones together in a place where they won't interfere with other things you are doing.
Bonus question
It is always difficult to tell across continents (I am in England) but I would expect garlic to have sprouted some time ago, on the other hand there are a good few plants in that family, edibles and ornamentals, which look similar. Have you tried pinching and smelling them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
It is difficult with seedlings if you have no idea what they might be. At the young stage you might be able to transplant so you have similar ones together in a place where they won't interfere with other things you are doing.
Bonus question
It is always difficult to tell across continents (I am in England) but I would expect garlic to have sprouted some time ago, on the other hand there are a good few plants in that family, edibles and ornamentals, which look similar. Have you tried pinching and smelling them
This sprouted quite awhile ago but didn't have the same fragrance I was used to with garlic. In any case, I yanked the biggest plant out of the ground! It's definitely scallions. They're absolutely ENORMOUS for green onions (not that I've grown them before, this is my first garden they're just big in comparison to what I've bought at the store) which is why I thought they'd be something else!

This bed that they're growing in is kind of a mess anyway so I just figured I'd pull it out and see what's up and then just re-do the whole thing how I want it :D
as for the other random sprouts coming up, they all look pretty unassuming so I figured it would be hard to identify. One particular sprout, however, has a red stem with green leaves? I haven't seen that before so I guess I'll have to look that up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
20220418_094938.jpg

This was the one big plant I pulled from the bed! They were all attached at the root with a few brown skins wrapped around holding them together which is why I thought it was all one big plant. I cleaned them up a little and then after the pic I trimmed the roots. They're just hanging out in a jar of water on my counter now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
There was a 3 month period where the garden wasn't looked after and then we took ownership at the end of last October.
A lot of things were dead (except rhubarb, butternut squash and my scallion friends) so I ripped everything up and did my best to prep it for winter (I had no idea what I was doing haha) so here we are now!
I'll definitely be posting a lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This sprouted quite awhile ago but didn't have the same fragrance I was used to with garlic. In any case, I yanked the biggest plant out of the ground! It's definitely scallions. They're absolutely ENORMOUS for green onions (not that I've grown them before, this is my first garden they're just big in comparison to what I've bought at the store) which is why I thought they'd be something else!

This bed that they're growing in is kind of a mess anyway so I just figured I'd pull it out and see what's up and then just re-do the whole thing how I want it :D
as for the other random sprouts coming up, they all look pretty unassuming so I figured it would be hard to identify. One particular sprout, however, has a red stem with green leaves? I haven't seen that before so I guess I'll have to look that up!
The garlic that I grow has a flatter leaf than onions which are more or less round. The only red stemmed green leaf vegetable I can think of is Ruby Chard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
The garlic that I grow has a flatter leaf than onions which are more or less round. The only red stemmed green leaf vegetable I can think of is Ruby Chard.
Awesome, that would be cool! I've only ever grown tomatoes and basil haha. I've moved the little red sprout to its own pot out of the raised bed until I can figure out where to put it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I planted chard seed the other day. I stick to the ordinary white ones, I find they make stronger growth, thicker stems and better leaves. I think it loses colour when it is cooked anyway, apart from beetroot most things do.
If you have somewhere you can make a wigwam I would recommend Cobra, climbing French beans, Taste good, crop well, and freeze well. Courgette is another must have for us, but I don't bother with the yellow ones, look nice on the plate, but the taste isn't there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I planted chard seed the other day. I stick to the ordinary white ones, I find they make stronger growth, thicker stems and better leaves. I think it loses colour when it is cooked anyway, apart from beetroot most things do.
If you have somewhere you can make a wigwam I would recommend Cobra, climbing French beans, Taste good, crop well, and freeze well. Courgette is another must have for us, but I don't bother with the yellow ones, look nice on the plate, but the taste isn't there.
I really like courgette but my husband absolutely hates it haha, I plan on growing one plant since it will just be me (and maybe my 1 yr old) eating it.
I'm also growing 4 different varieties of tomatoes since that is what I'm most comfortable growing. Garlic, sweet onions, 3 pepper varieties, Muncher cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, and I was also given small blueberry and raspberry plants that I'm really excited about (As mentioned in another thread haha). Probably a little ambitious for my first actual garden but what do I have to lose? :p
I have rhubarb, some salad greens (I think), scallions and butternut squash left from the previous owner of the house.

Is the white chard a different taste to the red? I wasn't originally planning on growing any leafy greens just yet but if they're going to come with the garden, I'm willing to give it a go! Always happy to try new things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really like courgette but my husband absolutely hates it haha, I plan on growing one plant since it will just be me (and maybe my 1 yr old) eating it.
I'm also growing 4 different varieties of tomatoes since that is what I'm most comfortable growing. Garlic, sweet onions, 3 pepper varieties, Muncher cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, and I was also given small blueberry and raspberry plants that I'm really excited about (As mentioned in another thread haha). Probably a little ambitious for my first actual garden but what do I have to lose? :p
I have rhubarb, some salad greens (I think), scallions and butternut squash left from the previous owner of the house.

Is the white chard a different taste to the red? I wasn't originally planning on growing any leafy greens just yet but if they're going to come with the garden, I'm willing to give it a go! Always happy to try new things.
No, the chard tastes the same. I guess that plant with red stems could be rhubarb although I've never actually seen it, but I have grown chard for decades.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
White and red taste just the same as far as I am concerned.
I always grow two courgettes, I find they either produce lots or only a few, and if I only grow one guess which it is?
Two poor ones still give you enough, two good ones and you can give them to everyone you know, and maybe a few strangers :)
I have two cauliflowers growing just for the craigh, but they take an awful lot of space, I go for broccoli.
Love rhubarb, just finished off the rhubarb crumble from our second picking.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Courgettes = zucchini? Zucchini is probably the most prolific producer outside of okra that I grow. I limit to two plants and have way more than we can use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
20220424_194738.jpg
20220424_194654.jpg

SO at first it was just one, and now there are a lot of them haha. Some are a little smaller than others, maybe they're different?
These are the sprouts with the reddish stem. I'm sure it's still too early to tell what they are but I thought I'd post anyway!

Ask a Question