any tricks for celery

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started 3 different varieties of celery in seed trays with heat matts and plenty of light. I started the first tray on February 9th. of 24 seeds planted, 3 sprouted within 4 days... and that's it. I know celery takes a while, but I am getting close to 21 days now and no real action. On February 22nd I started a back up round of 24, but didn't want to do the same thing and expect a different result (insanity). So this tray I surface sowed. I think I may have gone a little too deep with the original seeds and after some reading, I heard that celery seeds like a lot of light when germinating and some folks got good results from surface sowing. So I gave that a shot. Still nothing. I know its only been 6 days, but the first batch at least had 3 sprout nice and early. Any one able to shed some light on this for me?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I don't plant celery from seed. I buy 6 plants from a supplier about 3 inches tall. I have celery all Summer for a household. I pick the stocks as they get large enough from the outside of the plant.
25 July 2019 Celery
Posted on July 25, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/July 2019/25 July 2019 Celery/HTML/ 25 July 2019 Celery
Six garden celery plants were made into ten liters of juice.A half a pound of celery for each liter of juice. The larger stalks were removed and the plants will produce all season. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_1527_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Celery is that much of a pain huh? Lol. I'll still keep trying from seed for now until I get so frustrated that I too buy plants from a supplier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Celery is that much of a pain huh? Lol. I'll still keep trying from seed for now until I get so frustrated that I too buy plants from a supplier.
Where do you live? In cooler areas the seeds should have been up 3 months ago for a spring/summer crop. If your daytime growing temperatures get above 70F-75F it will fail and the nighttime should stay below 60F. Celery is very specific as to its growing areas. I have tried for years to grow it in Texas as a winter crop but it has been a total failure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where do you live? In cooler areas the seeds should have been up 3 months ago for a spring/summer crop. If your daytime growing temperatures get above 70F it will fail and the nighttime should stay below 60F. Celery is very specific as to its growing areas.
I live in zone 6. North west nj. Maybe celery isn't worth the effort. I wont give up on but just hope for the best and expect the worst.

Ask a Question