Any tips for keeping gnats out of potted plants?

Reaction score
Just curious. I've had them both indoors and out before and no matter what I tried, they always killed the plant or I got disgusted enough that I chucked it. Is there a way to keep them away? What about once the plant is already infested?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious. I've had them both indoors and out before and no matter what I tried, they always killed the plant or I got disgusted enough that I chucked it. Is there a way to keep them away? What about once the plant is already infested?
Sprinkle garlic powder around the base of the plant indoors and spray garlic tea outside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't know about garlic. Thanks! :)
Knats breed in the damp soil then emerge and become an annoyance but I don't think I have ever heard of them damaging a plant. Maybe we are talking about something other than what I know of as a knat. Please describe them or send a pic

Reaction score

I remember hearing a similar question on a gardening talk radio program. They said to use a layer of fine sand over the top of the soil, I guess it is supposed to keep them from being able to lay eggs and stops the cycle. I am not sure where you would get such sand though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I remember hearing a similar question on a gardening talk radio program. They said to use a layer of fine sand over the top of the soil, I guess it is supposed to keep them from being able to lay eggs and stops the cycle. I am not sure where you would get such sand though.
Mix 2oz of spinosad per gallon of water and use as a soil drench

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a few knats in the house but I don't think they are damaging my plants. I don't think I will spray the plants I will just let the bugs be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I had a similar problem, I got the sand from the pet store, the kind they use for small reptiles, I figured it would be sterile. I opted against play sand that kids use because there is no benefit to the plant. besides I would then have a giant bag I would have to find use for. Gnats are the worst and they are hard to get rid of, they will weaken your plants considerably. i had to remove any water from the catch tray so they had no moisture. Just water in the sink and then after a time place on a dry catch. Good Luck gnats are no fun.

Ask a Question