Any suggestions on a memorial garden?

Reaction score
I live in Florida and really want to start working on a memorial garden for my brother who passed away a few years ago. I don't want anything too big but something that is meaningful and full of color.I would really appreciate any ideas you all may have. :)
Thank you :)
Danyel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm very sorry for your loss. Creating a memorial garden for your brother sounds like a lovely idea.
What colors did he like the most? How much space do you have?

Reaction score
Thank you :( He was only 33 when he passed away and it has been very difficult. I really want to get my kids involved in this as well. They really miss their uncle too. His favorite color was teal because he loved the Jackson Jaguars :) We really have unlimited space, we have a very large back yard but would like to be able to see it from our back windows of our home. Just not sure where to start really. Thank you by the way :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a wonderful idea, you can have a fountain along with the color of plants that your borther liked, a statue of an animal or something that your brother really liked could also be added to the garden in his memory.

Reaction score
I love the fountain idea! I never really thought about that and I know the kids will like that too. :) I have started sketching out some ideas and am really thankful for everyone's help with this. It is emotional but I know when it's complete it will be beautiful. I know we will love looking out our back window and remembering him,even in just a small way. I was also thinking of adding one solar light so at night we can see it also.
He was an amazing person and I know he is smiling from Heaven at just the thought of this. Makes me happy too. :)

Thank you all again,
Danyel :)

Reaction score
Although I can see that you are already well on your way with your wonderful idea Danyel72 - as I know that you want your memorial garden to be extremely special and meaningful - I have some further thoughts too - especially if you are thinking of a fountain as focal point - like for instance - you could compliment the fountain with plant varieties that

contain your brother's name or the name of something that he had a passion for
or ones that have a particular scent that he liked or a scent that reminds you of him
also any favorite flowers or trees that he may have had or any plants that remind you of a particular time or occasion
or you could choose plants to reflect your brothers personality - like for instance if he was lively and full of fun - you could surround the area around your focal point - with warm lively colors or gentler paler shades if he was quiet and reserved.

Either way what ever theme you choose to go with - I feel more than sure that it will be a beautiful and especially love your idea of adding lighting :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Danyel when you have completed the memorial to your brother please share the photos with us. It is a beautiful thought to have something close to you and your family that will keep your brothers love in your heart for ever.

I like the solar light idea also.

Reaction score
Although I can see that you are already well on your way with your wonderful idea Danyel72 - as I know that you want your memorial garden to be extremely special and meaningful - I have some further thoughts too - especially if you are thinking of a fountain as focal point - like for instance - you could compliment the fountain with plant varieties that

contain your brother's name or the name of something that he had a passion for
or ones that have a particular scent that he liked or a scent that reminds you of him
also any favorite flowers or trees that he may have had or any plants that remind you of a particular time or occasion
or you could choose plants to reflect your brothers personality - like for instance if he was lively and full of fun - you could surround the area around your focal point - with warm lively colors or gentler paler shades if he was quiet and reserved.

Either way what ever theme you choose to go with - I feel more than sure that it will be a beautiful and especially love your idea of adding lighting :)
Those are amazing ideas. I actually never thought about picking plants and flowers that would compliment his personality. He was VERY funny and always made people smile. :) No matter what kind of mood you were in just being around him made things better. When I think of him, I always think of the color yellow. It is bright and cheery. A color that reminds me of how incredible he was. Planning on heading to the nursery this weekend to start looking for something perfect. Glad you like the idea of the light, I figure even at night I can look out and know he is with us. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was having a rough day missing him but now I'm excited to start this project in his honor. :) I appreciate you ! :)

Reaction score
Danyel when you have completed the memorial to your brother please share the photos with us. It is a beautiful thought to have something close to you and your family that will keep your brothers love in your heart for ever.

I like the solar light idea also.
I will certainly post pictures when it is complete. :) My parents are so touched that we are doing this to honor him. It has been a rough few years for us all. Hard to miss someone so much. :( Thank you for all your help and wonderful suggestions. I appreciate you :)

Reaction score
a chair or bench as a place where he would sit, or if there's more seating one chair extra as a place for him.

maybe also if there were some sport or activity or whatever you remember him for, place a reminder of it by the chair, like a ball for some sport or a musical instrument or whatever, like he was just there working on it. just need to make sure it can take some weather or you don't mind it getting weathered.

Last edited:
Reaction score
a chair or bench as a place where he would sit, or if there's more seating one chair extra as a place for him.

maybe also if there were some sport or activity or whatever you remember him for, place a reminder of it by the chair, like a ball for some sport or a musical instrument or whatever, like he was just there working on it. just need to make sure it can take some weather or you don't mind it getting weathered.
Great ideas!! My mom and dad have a memorial in their backyard and they have a bench right in the center of it. My parents go out often and just pray and sometimes just think about things. It's really beautiful.

After I read your post, I started looking for a small garden flag. Although my brother didn't play sports he really loved the Jacksonville Jaguars so I thought it would be nice to incorporate something like that as well. You really have great ideas and I love the idea of making it all relate in some way to him and what he meant to all of us. Thank you for taking the time to help me, I appreciate you. :)

Reaction score
Those are amazing ideas. I actually never thought about picking plants and flowers that would compliment his personality. He was VERY funny and always made people smile. :) No matter what kind of mood you were in just being around him made things better. When I think of him, I always think of the color yellow. It is bright and cheery. A color that reminds me of how incredible he was. Planning on heading to the nursery this weekend to start looking for something perfect. Glad you like the idea of the light, I figure even at night I can look out and know he is with us. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was having a rough day missing him but now I'm excited to start this project in his honor. :) I appreciate you ! :)

You are more than welcome and am really pleased that they were of help to you and have to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures when you are ready to post them - especially as I feel more than sure that it will be a wonderful sight to behold - particularly as you are thinking of choosing yellow as the main color - as there are so many beautiful plants to choose from in that color range - that will guarantee you year round color with their lively yellow hued foliage - as well their abundance of yellow blooms and even ones that will flower throughout the winter too :)

Ask a Question