Any "Spiderplant Whisperers" in the house?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Are any varieties of spider plant more easy-care/foolproof than others?
Are there any online retailers you might trust? (I'm not able to get out much.)

I am autistic and live mainly independently with some supports. I'm challenged with awareness, so a resilient plant is a must, though I will soon adapt to the new plant care schedule and learn to feel the plant's needs.

I want to have two spider plants in my living room. I have much excitement and anxiety about this. My double windows face northwest, but the room is bright as the windows take up most of the wall, and the livingroom gets good afternoon sunshine.

I will buy some distilled water. Or is room-temperature water from my Pur water filter pitcher ok?

Some types of spider plant look variegated with green at the center and white at edges of the leaves, but others have green at edges, white in the center. Is either type more forgiving?

Are there parasites I must protect them from with a spray?

I want to be successful to have these spider plants in my living room.
I also want the plants to feel welcome here.

Thoughts for varieties, sources and methods for best spider plant success?
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and offer suggestions. I really am grateful! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, Yes Spider plants are very easy to grow in fact they are so easy you can do so from cuttings.If you know someone with a spider plant you can ask them to cut off some of the babies for you to grow, these are the young shoots which look like mini spider plants, just cut them off with a short stalk so you can push the stalk into some compost indoor plant compost from your local garden store is best, but only plant your cuttings in a very small plastic pot to start with and water just a little each day until you notice your plants are growing. When your young plants fill the pot replant them into larger pots with more indoor compost as they grow bigger you can repot them until they reach the size you want, they will then grow babies which you can either pot up again or give away to friends. Go on and give it a try, it's much more exciting to grow your own plants and watch them grow than buying plants from elsewhere.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are very easy to grow and you don't need distilled water. Unless you have a specific cultivar in mind.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know one kind from another as far as spider plants go, but they are fairly hardy, and almost too easy to care for. :rolleyes: Read on, you'll see...

We put ours outside in the summer, and I've never really noticed it attracting parasites - I definitely wouldn't worry about it if you are keeping it inside.

Here is a "baby" from our plant. Yes, it lives in a shot glass, which I normally keep on the kitchen windowsill. (I moved it to the living room to take the picture.) It lives in water; I keep telling myself I'll pot it, but I want to keep it small. I like it in the window, and the sill is so narrow... :unsure:

I often forget to water it, and I've seen the roots dry and shriveled, which I do not recommend, but I wanted to tell you that to let you know they will live through a bit of neglect. :oops: I water it with tap water from the sink.

0817171321.jpg

It's been living in this shot glass for . . . :eek: . . . oh, it's well over a year now. It started as just the two main parts you see toward the front and sides. About two months ago, on a whim, I gave it a pinch of used coffee grounds I was taking out of the coffee pot. That's when it threw out the two tiny starts you see in the middle, on the far side of the cup.

They're hardy!! It's definitely a good starter plant. :)

:( Now I feel bad. I love my little spider, and it likes coffee, too!!
Maybe I will have to give it a pot to live in. :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
So there you see Warmheart, anyone can grow spider plants you will get a lot of pleasure from this, maybe you could let us know how your plants are doing from time to time..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will352

Latest Threads