Any ideas on what type of mushrooms these are?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These keep popping up on the lawn and I keep composting them but starting to wonder if I’m wasting something potentially edible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
111AD68F-8D62-4AF0-B3FD-0E5EAE7CFBE9.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are not ordinary edible mushrooms, they could be shaggy ink caps, which are edible, but be careful. Ink caps grow on buried rotten wood and have black gills underneath. If you leave them to mature the edge of the cap becomes 'shaggy' and breaks down into a runny, black, inklike material. The Bank of England used them for a while in the ink in banknotes, you could see the spores under a microscope and as long as they kept the secret of what they were using it made them un-forgeable.
The best rule with any fungi, if in doubt, don't eat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well that is a much more interesting response than I’d expected! Thanks very much Oliver, I agree - won’t be tasting them, glad someone with the expertise to comment was able to put my mind ‘at rest’ though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was wrong, if it is Copinellus micaceous it is edible. All my life folks have told me they were not edible but I just googled it and it says they are. I still wouldn't eat one though.

Ask a Question