Any ideas how to tidy up these manhole covers?

litwardle

Rookie gardener, Devon, UK
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Moving into a new property, lovely garden with lots of potential right in the middle are these man holes! I assume the ground has sunk over time. Short of covering them up with some kind of wooden structure any ideas for making them look more unobtrusive?

Lee

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You could create a decking area extending out from the patio - that would look very nice. Alternatively if you're looking for a short-term fix then how about some large pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Garden bench?
Or maybe some flowering shrubs or a stand of ornamental grass.

Now that I think of it, what the heck are storm drains or whatever they are doing in the middle of your yard? Usually they're on public easements and streets. You may want to check with your local sewer commissioner (or whatever the equivalent is there) to make sure you don't need to keep them accessible.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks to me like they might be access to a septic tank, best check before covering them :)

litwardle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all thanks for the replies and suggestions. It's perfectly normal here in the UK. It's access to the sewer and drainage system in case of blockage etc. The garden backs onto a wooded area and then farmers fields beyond. Ordinarily they would put the manholes (as we call them here) closer to the house rather than in the garden. I assume that it's the "end of the line" as it were so would have need put in prior to the house being built.

I would did wonder if I could take up some turf and add in some top soil to at least create a mound up around the adges to help them blend better. Looks like probably an easier thing would be pots or some kind of decking. As you say, will need to allow access.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
You can buy a special decor for septic tanks. For example, like a stone. Around this can be planted low plant.
Kanalizatsionnyj-lyuk-septika.jpg
Or something to do with his hands, like this.
maskirovka-luka.jpg

litwardle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
They are kind of big for clean outs for a house .
I would lift it up like chuck said you might be able to make them smaller

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I remember a few years ago I made an basket of willow. It was easy. I cut a few thick branches and put in of the ground in a circle. Then I took a long, flexible branches and wove between thick. I also made a handle for climbing plants. Unfortunately, I live in the city and can come to the country - house just for the weekend or on vacation. I'm poorly dried willow, and it took root. But if someone can keep an eye on it, it might look nice and free. This basket can also serve as decoration.
14.jpg

Ask a Question