Ants!

Reaction score
What methods of ant control have you found useful in your gardens? Is there anything natural/safe that can be used or are commercial sprays the only effective measure?

It seems like I can find a wealth of information on keeping them out of the house, but very little addressing how to deal with an out of control ant population in the garden. I know that the consensus is that they're harmless, but these aren't. I have them in my raised beds in such quantity that they are actually attacking some of my vegetables. I lost probably a third of my sweet corn last year to ants climbing right in through the husks to gnaw on the kernels.

Reaction score
I have had very good luck with diatomaceous earth - it is ground up fossilized plants of some sort - it works because it is sharp on a microscopic level so it pierces their armour and then desiccates them. However, it is not harmful to humans, animals, other plants, or supposedly, beneficial insects like ladybugs and bumble bees. It isn't called that in the stores - just look for pet friendly ant or insect killer, and read the label to see if it is diatomaceous earth.

Reaction score
I have had very good luck with diatomaceous earth - it is ground up fossilized plants of some sort - it works because it is sharp on a microscopic level so it pierces their armour and then desiccates them. However, it is not harmful to humans, animals, other plants, or supposedly, beneficial insects like ladybugs and bumble bees. It isn't called that in the stores - just look for pet friendly ant or insect killer, and read the label to see if it is diatomaceous earth.

Hmm, I looked that up and I'm going to pop over to our hardware store to see if they have it because it sounds perfect. According to the label description it should also help with another major pest issue we're having this season - earwigs. If I get it down now, with the corn just barely starting to tassel, I should have concrete evidence of its effectiveness in pretty short order.

Reaction score
Hmm, I looked that up and I'm going to pop over to our hardware store to see if they have it because it sounds perfect. According to the label description it should also help with another major pest issue we're having this season - earwigs. If I get it down now, with the corn just barely starting to tassel, I should have concrete evidence of its effectiveness in pretty short order.

Ugh! Earwigs! They are terrible here this year as well, and eating everything! I read a method for using diatomaceous earth for earwigs, and it said to spray your plants, then shake the earth over the plants, and even try to toss some up under your plants to get it on the bottom of the leaves. Mind you, that's ok if it's just one or two plants, but a bit of a chore if you've got a whole lot!

Reaction score
I grew up in Australia (I live in England now), as kids we used to dig a trench around bull ant nests (they can stand up to 6 inches tall) and would fill them with milk. the entire colony would come out and drink the milk which always fascinated us - especially (we were kids remember) when they drowned!

I wouldn't recommend that now, but something that has worked for me in the past is lemon juice. Spray it around the entrances they are using and it keeps them at bay. The acid in the lemon interferes with the ants' own messaging systems. It doesn't get rid of them of course, but if you can push them further and further away from your property (or at least keep them out of the house) then it is a good tip.

Another useful tip that has also worked is to set up a feeding station somewhere not far from the nest. Put down a plate with some sugar cubes and a little water and the ants will find it better than manna! You'll have to keep it stocked, though, to convince them not to come back into the house looking for more food!

Reaction score
I've only ever done this in an enclosed greenhouse setting, but in the future you could try purchasing some beneficial bugs. I havent quite done my research on which ones combat ants but I'm sure there are some bugs out there looking for food and a job!

Reaction score
My sister has a problem with ants in her yard. She has tried a lot of different things to get rid of them, but no matter what she does they keep coming back. After reading this thread I will let her know about some of your suggestions and see if they work for her.

Reaction score
Corn meal. Ants cannot digest corn meal. Sprinkle a lot of it around where you see their ant hills. They will bring it back to the others and it will wipe a lot of them out. Also cream of wheat (farina) is pretty effective. They eat it and it swells, killing them. It's the best method that is harmless to pets, wildlife, and children.

Reaction score
Oooh I didn't know that about the cream of wheat. I am definitely telling my sister about that. She would love to get rid of the ants in her yard without having to use a lot of chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
That corn meal sounds like a good thing to try. We've been battling with ants inside and in the garden for a couple of years and nothing seems to work.

Is this the right stuff: Maizena? Or maybe this one: White star maize meal.

Reaction score
Not corn flour. Just plain, yellow cornmeal would probably be the least expensive thing to buy. It would be the same kind you'd buy for making cornbread.

Here is a short article about ants and cornmeal. According to this, the ants should die off within a couple weeks. It is not an instant cure for the problem, like poison would be, but it is a much safer alternative. I hope it helps you.

http://www.examiner.com/article/get-rid-of-ants-with-cornmeal-really

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks Cheerio. I'll try the maize meal then. I think it's white, but I don't suppose the ants will care.

Can I use it in my plant pots or will it harm my trees?

Reaction score
I have to see about using the corn meal on the ants. They are starting to get out of hand in my yard.

Reaction score
I read about the cornmeal during a big invasion. I used a baking mix since I didnt have cornmeal (and they were coming in my house too) and the mix had some cornmeal and it worked. A friend told me the sugar in the mix probably attracted them and the cornmeal must have killed the whole hive. Was free of any for the rest of the season.

If you want a barrier against ants (not to kill them per se) I find that a line of pepper keeps them away along with peels from citrus plants. Articles said both repel them due to the smell and ants are very scent oriented.

Ask a Question