Ants... Good or bad?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a balcony with 9-10 potted plants. Recently, some small black ants have started hanging out in my canna lilly. How do you know when ants are an issue for a plant?

Attachments

• 15596489000184687694512486386167.jpg
    15596489000184687694512486386167.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ants are never a good thing. The problem is they eat and most of the time they destroy what they eat. They also can carry diseases from plant to plant.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
From the Old Farmers Almanac:

"Although some species, like the carpenter ant and the stinging fire ant, are considered pests, generally ants are beneficial. Most ants nest in the ground, digging a labyrinth of tunnels that allow air and moisture to get to the roots of plants. The leaves and insects brought into the nest decay and fertilize the surrounding plants. Many ants are predators and feed on insects that attack lawns and gardens, and in the process of gathering food, they often pollinate flowers and distribute seeds."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Baloney. Or Bologna if you wish. Ants are good in your yard, on your deck or patio, in your plants, pantry, house or wherever, but hateful in mine. I do not want anthills hither and yon. They scrounge for food. They eat plant roots. They especially like dry, protected soil like in a pot on the ground. All the good things that are attributed to them as above can and will be done by other critters which will stay in the garden and not wander into my house when they evolve a new queen who will need a new abode for her hordes. This is prime example of so-called Green people wishing pestilance on the uninitiated in the name of being good to Earth. Bologna.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I will say be careful about the balance in your yard. Ants eat other ground dwellers such as grubs. I found out the hard way 20 or so years ago when I decided I should kill ants across the whole yard. I was very proud at first, but realized my mistake when the grubs took the roots of the grass to the point I could roll it up like carpet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will say be careful about the balance in your yard. Ants eat other ground dwellers such as grubs. I found out the hard way 20 or so years ago when I decided I should kill ants across the whole yard. I was very proud at first, but realized my mistake when the grubs took the roots of the grass to the point I could roll it up like carpet.
I respectfully disagree. Ants may indeed eat some grubs, but the grubs won't be "controlled" by ants, they will merely be "on the menu" and conveniently close by to support a larger population of ants. Got grubs? Get Milky Spore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And what new terror will fill the void when the grubs are decimated? I would like to see ants jumping out of the yard to catch the moths that drop army worms around here. Maybe ants are underpaid and unmotivated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And what new terror will fill the void when the grubs are decimated? I would like to see ants jumping out of the yard to catch the moths that drop army worms around here. Maybe ants are underpaid and unmotivated.
You want Ants? Give me your address...

Ask a Question