Another squirrel attack!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Darn things are starting to seriously get under my skin. He destroyed this and nearly uprooted a morning Glory. I think the MG will make it, but pretty sure this mystery plant will remain a mystery now.

IMG_20190428_141251433.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can buy ultrasonic devices that will limit them somewhat. By somewhat I mean the animal has to cross the path of the motion detector, so they work on open ground better than if you have lots of plants that block aiming them where the critters will pass. I have a yard full of Hosta beds so I need 3 in my front yard and 3 in the back yard. Naturally, they work on dogs and cats, too, the bigger the better, so if you have pets, or your neighbor has pets, that's a consideration, too. They are ~$30 for a pair from HeartlandAmerica.com. Not cheap, but they work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've always had squirrels in our garden. But never more than a pair. I always leave a few peanuts out for them every night. But not too many. If I did, they'd try to bury some of them in the pots, or dig small holes for them in the lawn.

I put them in a container under a bit of scrap wood in one of the patio pots. It stops the wood pigeons getting them.

P1020632.JPG

They must take them very early in the morning, because they're gone by the time I get up.
We rarely see them in the day, usually if I've forgotten to leave the peanuts out. They come to check a few times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've killed literally hundreds of squirrels and rabbits with my Sheridan. I have had 3 in the past 65 years. The guy in the video is a weakling and a terrible shot. I hardly ever used more than 6 pumps and rarely missed at 40-50 yards. I had a little 4x scope on the last 2 guns and pumping the gun is easy. If a 10 year old boy has no problem why should a grown man? Alas, I gave my last Sheridan to my grandson and my daughter says he is a terror with it. She says no rabbit is safe anymore. Anyway, I now use a 22 or a 12 guage but if in the city it would be great on varmints and no one would hear you. The largest animal I ever killed with it was a racoon. And feeding squirrels to placate them is utter nonsense

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a Gamo whisper in .22 and my neighbors have no problem with me using it. The front yard is a problem because it's impossible to get a shot without someone's house being your backstop (I know, I know, just don't miss). Back yard is pretty easy for a good shot. I need to spend a few hours in the kids to house thinning this year's population.

It a war of attrition you can't win, but I just might be able to keep their numbers manageable in my yard. I have also used some chemical deterrent with some success on the raised bed. Guess I need to storage all the pots as well. You just have to spray weekly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a Gamo whisper in .22 and my neighbors have no problem with me using it. The front yard is a problem because it's impossible to get a shot without someone's house being your backstop (I know, I know, just don't miss). Back yard is pretty easy for a good shot. I need to spend a few hours in the kids to house thinning this year's population.

It a way of attrition you can't win, but I just might be able to keep their numbers manageable in my yard. I have also used some chemical deterrent with some success on the raised bed. Guess I need to storage all the pots as well. You just have to spray weekly.
Pots are pretty easy, just put chicken wire over it to stop them digging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We've always had squirrels in our garden. But never more than a pair. I always leave a few peanuts out for them every night. But not too many. If I did, they'd try to bury some of them in the pots, or dig small holes for them in the lawn.

I put them in a container under a bit of scrap wood in one of the patio pots. It stops the wood pigeons getting them.

View attachment 52893

They must take them very early in the morning, because they're gone by the time I get up.
We rarely see them in the day, usually if I've forgotten to leave the peanuts out. They come to check a few times.
Must be a little thinner there. Down here there are hoards of bushy tailed rats in every tree. We are in a pretty heavily forested neighborhood with a couple acres of forest directly behind us. Sadly, Gators do not seem to feed on squirrels.

No way I could condone feeding them here. I'm likely to put a pellet in my neighbors backside if I caught them doing it! (Ok, not literally. But we would have words. Squirrels are not cute or cuddly or fun in any way)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we have had squirrels chew the break lines in our truck. heading down our driveway noticing breaks don't work. thank goodness I was slow, emergency break was ok. then there is the tow truck cost, and then to fix it. we don't like them much here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20190429_111009.jpg

I raise a .22 whisper fusion. About every 2 years I go through a heavy culling of gray squirrel here. There is no bag limit and open season year round. So since I like to see them, just not in droves, I try to cull them prior to the breeding times so I minimize the offspring numbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
my good neighbor helps with the exiting of these. last year he shot 40 of them. and the vultures have a feast.
I used to wonder what to do with the bodies myself. It came to me to use them as fertilizer, buried near a tree or plant. This is not far from nature. It is a strange metal journey to consider that the trees attract creatures that then fertilize them, yet we always speak of the biodome below ground and the relation of roots to bacteria and fungi as if the protein makers and their amino acids were not part of the picture. There were 4 Noble Prizes given for 4 proofs of stages where plants create vitamin B12. B12 has no use to a plant and I do not understand the details, but I know enough that roots can call to the environment for fulfillment of their needs, and that is the belowground part of the plant. So why not the top parts calling in for support also? Rodents need to chew to be healthy. Are the hard shells of hickory making them healthy? I think so. And the hickory tree knows it too.

Nobel Link

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the other thing squirrels did . One day, turning on my car to leave, suddenly smoke is rising from my engine area. turned off car. opened hood, here to find bunch of nuts stacked inside that would have caused a fire .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't believe you guys don't eat them. They're delicious fried with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and tomato salad. I might bury an old tough male squirrel but the females and young are hard to beat.

Ask a Question