Another rhs refuge

Reaction score
Just to say Hello.
Looking forward to meeting new garden addicts. Seen some familiar names already from the RHS forum. Nice to find a new home. Best K

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to Gardening Forums! I'm glad you like it here :)

What is your gardening background?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to Gardening Forums! I'm glad you like it here :)

What is your gardening background?
Thank you Becky.
25 years here in this very sandy garden in Perthshire. Member of Plant Heritage - but not a vey active one just now. Favourites of the moment are hardy fuchsias. Best K

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums
welcome.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Thank you Becky.
25 years here in this very sandy garden in Perthshire. Member of Plant Heritage - but not a vey active one just now. Favourites of the moment are hardy fuchsias. Best K
Hi Kaydee I'm just home from a talk on Fuscias at Garden Club in Biggar - very interesting and of course I couldn't resist buying one. I'm home with one called Drame so here's hoping I can keep it alive!

Reaction score
Hi Clematis - I don't know Drame but I've just looked it up in George Bartlett's Fuchsia Guide. Looks very pretty. Quoted as a good strong plant - & not too big either for a front of border show. Be interested to hear how you find it. Best K

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Our guest speaker had some lovely new plants with her and all for £1 - she's secretary of a fuschia club near Edinburgh I think and shows at Gardening Scotland if you ever go there... I think she's won Gold a few times. She was very knowledgable and very easy to watch and listen to... showed us how to propagate our new plants as well, and says they'll be ready to take cuttings in just a few weeks. She also told me the name of the one in my garden from my description so I was impressed - she says it's "Hawkshead" and will survive most anythng weatherwise, which mine has done. She also gave us tips about planting hardy varieties outsde to withstand our winters up here - I think she said to plant them a couple of inches deeper than the crown but you probably know all that anyway. She also showed us how to ceate standards, half-standards and bonsais. Don't think I'm quite ready for any of them yet need to keep this "Drame" alive for now!

Reaction score
Our guest speaker had some lovely new plants with her and all for £1 - she's secretary of a fuschia club near Edinburgh I think and shows at Gardening Scotland if you ever go there... I think she's won Gold a few times. She was very knowledgable and very easy to watch and listen to... showed us how to propagate our new plants as well, and says they'll be ready to take cuttings in just a few weeks. She also told me the name of the one in my garden from my description so I was impressed - she says it's "Hawkshead" and will survive most anythng weatherwise, which mine has done. She also gave us tips about planting hardy varieties outsde to withstand our winters up here - I think she said to plant them a couple of inches deeper than the crown but you probably know all that anyway. She also showed us how to ceate standards, half-standards and bonsais. Don't think I'm quite ready for any of them yet need to keep this "Drame" alive for now!
Hoping to go to Gardening Scotland this year. I'll look out for the stand. Most of my stock so far has come from Roualeyn nurseries in North Wales. Did your speaker by any chance mention the use of 'Listerene' for fuchsia rust? Apparently it makes the greenhouse smell like a dentist's surgery but works a treat. You dilute it, I think, to around 10% & spray it on at first sign of infection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Couldn't say if she said that - I forgot to take a notebook with me... but she did mention Roualeyn nursery. She said she used Chempak 2 3 and 4 for various things and she had a brown bottle which I can't for the life of me remember what it was called that she used for feeding etc and she made her own potting up mix because the composts are so full of rubbish. She used some kind of coir which you soak and then mix with a good multi purpose / peat I think. Probably need to seive the multipurpose I would think if it's anything like ours which is all full of woody bits! I'll see if I can find anyone else who was there to find out more info for you kaydee.

Reaction score
Thank you Clematis. I thought I'd stock up on it if it is recommended. But I haven't found anyone who has actually used it.

Ask a Question