Another New Midwest Gardener

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello everyone!,! i am so pumped to join yet another forum related to my interests... these forums are the pinnacle of learning.

I am a middle aged guy that now realizes the importance of food independence AND food quality. So, though i already know I want a homestead with chickens, Id figure I need to at least successfully operate a 4’x10’ raised bed.

I live in the eastern side of midwest... near a great lake. I am doing the “mulch thing.”. Trying the eden stuff. I am having issues after germination tho, which is what brought me here.. I will post my question in separate thread, anyhow... but I’d like to thank everyone here for making this forum available; plus, I hope to be around long enough to give back!!...

PS and find a wife with expert growing qualifications and experience... then we can move closer to equator, and grow all year!! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome SteveSteve. :) Good luck with your 4' x 10' bed, it's a good way to start and build up knowledge. We're happy to help you along the way but finding a wife with growing experience is down to you. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bonjour, @SteveSteve! What type of mulch do you use? :shame:
A local landscape company has a product called "unscreened woodchips." They're basically what tree-removal companies have in their trucks after they've shredded a customers trees.

I watched that Paul Gautchie video regarding Back To Eden... so I THINK I got that part right...

My plants still seemed stunted... or I guess I should say my seedlings seem stuck at that stage but... I was surprised that there hasn't been a response related why that could be the case... anyway... yesterday I went to local hardware store and bought pots and raised bed mix, and planted more seeds... they will be my back up in case bed doesnt work this season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My plants still seemed stunted... or I guess I should say my seedlings seem stuck at that stage but... I was surprised that there hasn't been a response related why that could be the case...

This is really only the introduction area, you can post your veg growing problems here Steve....

Ask a Question