Another Mini Project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
For any woodworking jobs around the house or in the garden, I 've always relied on my ancient Black & Decker "Workmate."

Now this has had a "gammy leg" for at least thirty years. So I either have to use it on the low setting or stick an axle stand under one corner to use it at a more comfortable height, though still not exactly level. I recently tried to get a new leg for it but they aren't available.

P1040450.JPG

A couple of years ago, a neighbour gave me a work bench.
it's formed from Dexion type metalwork, all "L" shaped bits of metal that lock together.

Trawling eBay,I came across this new cast iron vice for twenty-two quid.
s-l500.jpg

So I ordered one. I decided I could fix it to my bench.

Not an easy fix as it needed a horizontal surface to bolt it to, normally the underside of a solid wooden bench. Not a half inch thick bit of chipboard.
But I had a spare piece of the "L" shaped shelf support, so I cut it down to make a 2ft long "L" shaped support that I bolted behind the bit that supports the top And attached the vice. to the horizontal bar of the "L." It's as solid as a rock..

P1040448.JPG

The storage below is the sideboard we had in the lounge which got replaced by a new one from Dwell a few years ago, Plus some drawers from one of the filing cabinets in the shed where I keep odds and ends. (the cabinets got "recycled" from my office when I gave up work).

P1040449.JPG

I've no Idea for what I'm going to use this vice at the moment, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Ask a Question