Annual Supply of Carrots

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In less than 20 ft of row, we grow enough carrots to last a year. These will be for soups, stews, and occasional side dishes. Here in East Texas, I like to plant the seeds in November and harvest late April to early May. Very easy to grow in our sandy loam soil. No pests, no artificial fertilizers, no problems...about 8 gallons of carrots.

carrots 2020.JPG

We prefer to can them raw using a pressure cooker. Just clean, scrape, slice and pack in jars. No salt or seasoning which will be added later when used. Seems like they are much more crisp and tasty that way when opened. These will make about 20 jars of delicious eating for the next year for our family.

canned carrots 2020.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You do a great job. How many people are you feeding? Those are perfect carrots.We had a dusting of snow this morning, first time I encountered snow in May here. It has been so cold nothing is really thriving. Only a few leaves out.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thank you for your comments Durgan...coming from you that is much appreciated. That's about what we use for two people per year. We will, from time to time, buy fresh carrots for munching but for cooking its 100% garden supplied.

Back several years ago (probably 4 or 5 years) we had snow here in East Texas on April 15! Strange weather. This year I still have cabbage, swiss chard, and kale going in the garden and that is unprecedented in my experience. Usually burning up by this time. Strange!

Ask a Question