An Upcycle Project For Root Vegetables

Reaction score
I like growing my own vegetables, but root vegetables can be difficult to keep up and harvest. When we were cleaning out the storage building, I found some old coolers in the back. A strange thought hit me. These would be perfect for carrots, onions and the like.

I drilled a few small holes in the bottom of the coolers to keep them well drained, filled them with dirt and seeds. Now I know exactly where my root vegetables are and harvesting them is so much easier!

As a side note, I also put a few large holes in the lid so that when they are still small and tender I can leave them outside and close them off to the chill of the night without having to drag them back in the house.

Reaction score
Hehehe! Wow! What a creative way to use coolers! A very green one, because odds are you will be using those for a while, thus not throwing them away :) I love when people gives a new use to old things. Congrats :) I wish you a lot success with your project, please let us know how it goes!

Reaction score
What I love best (besides not throwing them away!) is that coolers are insulated. I don't have to worry as much if we have an unexpected frost because I close them just after the sun goes down!

Ask a Question