An unexpected deal at Lowes....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Stopped at Lowes, this morning, to pick up a Cavendish Banana Tree (grows to 3 feet high, 2 feet wide) to try to grow bananas in a pot....utilizing the greenhouse during the winter and two blueberry bushes for the yard. When I went to check out, the cashier said, "I'm gonna just charge you half price for the banana tree since it looks like it's half dead"....to which I replied, "Well, I won't argue with that. Thank you.".......I'm guessing she does NOT "play" in the dirt....
20180503_115107.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Stopped at Lowes, this morning, to pick up a Cavendish Banana Tree (grows to 3 feet high, 2 feet wide) to try to grow bananas in a pot....utilizing the greenhouse during the winter and two blueberry bushes for the yard. When I went to check out, the cashier said, "I'm gonna just charge you half price for the banana tree since it looks like it's half dead"....to which I replied, "Well, I won't argue with that. Thank you.".......I'm guessing she does NOT "play" in the dirt....View attachment 36299
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Silentrunning - well done. I have several reduced pots and they have now come into flowers. Some shops are very steep in their reduction. Went to Summerhill and there have been tons of Sunshine ?? Blueberry. I saw the word tangy and keep at a wide berth and yet after 2 weeks, they are still asking for £7. So for hellebores, and yet a very handsome conifer planted as standard, they only asked for £20. I said to son that I could probably resell it for £40. Any way, the following week, it's gone! Someone has got a bargain. You just have to go and keep an eye on the prices like a HAWK and pounce like a lion! LOL!:eek::LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good advice @alp. Is it true that Roses smell better when you get them at a bargain price or is it just my imagination? ;)

You know so well! Thank heavens you're happily married .... and I am not a man chaser! LOL!

What you post makes me giggle! Talking about that, I am not best pleased. Bought Arthur Bell at £10 (because of its fragrance and AGM award of garden merit status), which wasn't exactly cheap but now a lot of stems are diseased. I might graft something else on the stem. I am not afraid to MESS about!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You know so well! Thank heavens you're happily married .... and I am not a man chaser! LOL!

What you post makes me giggle! Talking about that, I am not best pleased. Bought Arthur Bell at £10 (because of its fragrance and AGM award of garden merit status), which wasn't exactly cheap but now a lot of stems are diseased. I might graft something else on the stem. I am not afraid to MESS about!

alp, if you cut it back to the stump will it regrow like a Hydrangea or is the disease in the roots too?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
SR: That will certainly grow - it's a standard? LOL! I just can't help laughing at your tease that the fragrance will be better if reduced! What a dump way of putting it. Of course, it would smell better if I paid £2, but still if the company is good, I don't want paying a bit more. I chopped off all the bad bits and now there is only one stem on the top. Been going through boxes to sell on gumtree. People are fighting over my air con which I have seldom used. It was switched on twice and after that, it has been in storage. Apparently, people living in North London said it was very hot their way. I warned her that the machine made a bit of noise. She said it was OK as she had had two of those! We seldom have such heat problem. Funny thing is that when it's dark, it gets cold very quickly even after a hot day.

I have to get out as the air is attacking my nostrils.

Ask a Question