An internal Lean-To

Reaction score
I have a spare room in my apartment which is pretty much a junk room with a bed in it. A few months back I realised that I was wasting an opportunity for growing things and started to turn the area around the window into a kind of make-shift lean to.

I live on the fourth floor, and have a small greenhouse squashed onto my balcony and always have space issues when it comes to propagating seeds, storing plants and the like, and the lean-to idea seemed like the perfect solution. It's made of wood and has a plastic surround. The window offers ventilation and I have a dehumidifier in there to keep the mould away.

It seems to be working at the moment, but I'll keep you posted. the wife is not happy as my hobby is now seriously intruding into the house but hey, it was wasted space anyway...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What a great idea! Could you share a photo with us? My greenhouse in the back yard has become the butterfly house, but I have a few small plants on the middle shelf, which works out well for them in the heat because the top shelf is covered with cardboard which creates some much needed shade for the herbs below.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Go for it :)

Try growing something for the Mrs in it too, she might appreciate that (Not a Mother in laws tongue plant though )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a great idea! Have you put in a light for the plants?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a light, but at the moment the plants are all growing fine (if only on the window side since this is where the light comes from). I would post a picture, but my wife wants to clean the room up first, she doesn't want anyone to see how we really live! Watch this space.

Ask a Question