An excellent planting trick

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
If you want to get the optimal yields from every bed, you have to pay attention while arranging your plants. Stagger your plants planting in triangles and don't plant in square rows. Thus, you can fit ten to fourteen percent more plants in every bed.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I didn't know of this technique though I am sure that this has to do with area and density. I have in the course of my studies known that round shapes have a bigger space economy as opposed to others. I have another method which can economise on space. This involves creating hills of soil and planting on the sides. Navigating the garden would be easy because you wouldn't interfere with plant growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
A triangle bed may be more efficient than the usual rectangular but isn't it odd looking? But anyway, since it is an innovation, maybe we can have some triangular beds for our next planting. It is rainy season now and our extended garden is flooded. It's a good thing that our corn crop had already been harvested otherwise it will be a disaster.

As for the triangular bed, we may try that when we plant pechay (a Chinese lettuce) that is easier to grow than the real lettuce.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Corzhens, I may have misunderstood the OP, but I think (?) what they mean is to use the space that would normally be taken up by dividing your rows.

More like this:

X -- X -- X -- X
-- X -- X -- X --
X -- X -- X -- X

Instead of like this:

X -- X -- X -- X

X -- X -- X -- X

The red row being the extra plants.

*But that's how I arrange my garden, so maybe I misunderstood just because I am biased. :)

Ask a Question