American Seed Company Seed Weight

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had bought 2 packs of onion seeds from the Dollar Tree. Supposed to be 400 mg of seed in each pack. When I opened the pack it didn't look like enough seeds so I counted and weighed them. About 75 seeds per pack and about 200 mg worth in each pack so I got half of what I was supposed to get. The good thing is they were cheap, something like 4 packs for a dollar but still you should get what the package says. I think Walmart sells these sometimes too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had bought 2 packs of onion seeds from the Dollar Tree. Supposed to be 400 mg of seed in each pack. When I opened the pack it didn't look like enough seeds so I counted and weighed them. About 75 seeds per pack and about 200 mg worth in each pack so I got half of what I was supposed to get. The good thing is they were cheap, something like 4 packs for a dollar but still you should get what the package says. I think Walmart sells these sometimes too.
I wonder what the germination rate is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder what the germination rate is.

Well I could have said but I had to mix a Ferry Morse seed packet of onions in with it so I had enough seed so I doubt I could reliably even tell. They were dated for sale for this year, if that means something.

I did also get a pumpkin seed and I think yellow squash seed pack also from there. I haven't examined those.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
American Seed Jack O Lantern pumpkin seeds states 1.75 g. Unopened pack is 5.0 g. 21 seeds are 2.8 g.

American Seed Waltham Butternut squash seeds states 1.25 g. Unopened pack is 3.5 g. 15.5 seeds are 1.4 g. A machine must have cut half the seed off trying to package.

There appears to be no consistancy. The pumpking seeds are way over. The seeds are bigger and weigh more so kind of understandable since that may only be 2 or 3 seeds. The onion seeds are way under and are smaller and weigh less so really I was missing a lot of seeds, something like 75 seeds, not cool. The butternut seeds are close enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the US not do consumer protection? Or is it simply a case of caveat emptor? Difficult with a sealed packet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some of those seed packets have very small seeds and they leak seeds at the corners. It really is not a cost concern for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
True Don. And in my experience, they all say "approximately" anyway. It's very difficult to automatically package tiny seeds consistently due to humidity issues (including prior to sale storage), static, dirt build up on equipment and other things. On the other hand, if you buy from Dollar Tree, it is what it is. Remember they get stuff at big discounts for a reason. Maybe they were a batch that didn't meet QA requirements for weight. Personally, I don't have a scale that can down to measure 200mg anyway - that's 0.007oz. Our digital kitchen scale is only accurate to 1gm or 0.1oz. I could probably borrow one from a drug dealer, plenty of those a-h's around, but I don't have anything to do with those types. :eek: . We don't buy weed either, even though it's legal here... chocolate truffles occasionally on the other hand... ;)

Ask a Question