zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
America was not shut down properly.
Would you like to start America in safe mode, with free healthcare & without the guns? (Recommended)

Reaction score
I didn't know about America was shutting down until yesterday! To be honest I was quite surprised, I heard a lot poor goverment employees will face the repercussions of this. I even heard some will be asked to go to work without getting paid! That sounds so insane!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed. It wouldn't happen like that over here, the issue was a manefesto pledge, it would have gone through here because that's what the people voted for, wouldn't matter how much the opposition objected.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The Republicans want to over ride the Health Care Act. They have not gotten what they wanted by voting for it, by trying to elect it, or through the Supreme Court, so they think that they can get their way by holding the country hostage. Some Republicans are saying how pleased they are...they are saving the country money. To me, it looks like a small group of bigoted, biased individuals have a huge ax to grind.

I have a co-worker with cancer that had to take a second choice treatment, because the first choice would have made her too sick to work. Without working she could not afford her insurance and cancer treatment.

Has the United States of America become a country of unintelligent, unthinking people who believe what Fox News says? It appears so. It is embarrassing.

Reaction score
Yes, the police in the White House are working without pay! Yesterday a depressed motorist drove through a barrier, and ran down an officer. She was, alas, shot and killed. On the news it said that none of the security guards are being paid for the work they are doing.

The injured officer is expected to recover, though other than that I have heard no news as to how badly he was hurt.

What is insane is that the members of Congress will be paid, and they are the ones who have nut succeeded at their jobs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, the police in the White House are working without pay! Yesterday a depressed motorist drove through a barrier, and ran down an officer. She was, alas, shot and killed. On the news it said that none of the security guards are being paid for the work they are doing.

The injured officer is expected to recover, though other than that I have heard no news as to how badly he was hurt.

What is insane is that the members of Congress will be paid, and they are the ones who have nut succeeded at their jobs.

Gosh, that's terrible! I heard a lot goverment workers will have to work without payment! I find that to be so absurd! So hard to believe, what are those poor people supposed to do??? Are they going to get some kind of compensation once this is over???? If not, they should really move out from that country! This is scary as heck! I'll be traveling on january next year, so I wonder what it will be like at the airport if by then they haven't fixed this.

Reaction score
I don't like the whole shut down at all. The Republicans fail to realize that they are not helping us they are hurting us. They try so hard to make the president look bad that they don't realize how bad they have made themselves look. A lot of people listen to the negative press concerning the shut down and they don't realize that the Republicans are responsible not the president.

Our Government is run by congress and they make all the decisions when it comes to what laws get passed. The president can make a law but it is congress that approves or disproves that law. People have forgotten how our government works so a lot of them look to the media and believe what they tell them.

That's just my opinion. I wish government would wake up and take a good look at this country. They need to see how they have ruined this country with their greed. I mean a lot of government workers are not getting paid because of this shut down, but all the congressmen are getting paid.

Reaction score
Crazy, isn't it? You think in a government as large as our own, designed with so many checks and balances, that a handful of people wouldn't have the power to do this but there it is. I just hope it doesn't end in any sort of compromise, because if this tactic works now I'm sure we'll see it used time and again in the future.

Reaction score
The government workers are getting paid even if they aren't working. The government takes care of their own. Unfortunately the American People are not considered their own.

Reaction score
As near as I can tell, the government cuts that I have been seeing have been outstanding for their annoyance value only. For example, business at the airports are apparently the same as always, which is helpful to the Federal government because airlines pay a lot of taxes. The government will not want to hurt the airlines' business.However the Federal government has been ordering STATE Parks to close, on the grounds that the Federal government pays a SMALL amount of the upkeep! In other words, instead of simply not sending the states money for the State parks they are trying to close the State Parks down. I think the government is trying to make us angry, so that we will apply pressure to our elected representatives.

As for what the politicians are saying, some of that will be lies. The problem is it is hard to tell when a politician is lying. I am angry at them all.

Taking the practical view, life will go on as always. They did close the Statue of Liberty, and apparently citizens can, no longer call their representative because the phones are not being answered. But, we will still go to work, buy groceries, and pay taxes as always.

Reaction score
I'd like to restart in safe mode, yes, because what's happening now is that the government is more or less cutting out the middle class. :/ I've only read about times in history when populations were made up of the haves and have-nots, and I'm kind of sad that it might be coming to that again sometime in the near future. My family has been personally affected by this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
America was not shut down properly.
Would you like to start America in safe mode, with free healthcare & without the guns? (Recommended)
When guns are legal, good guys and bad guys carry guns.
When guns are illegal, it's only the bad guys.

Ask a Question