Alternative to cane and wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever considered a more novel alternative to cane or wire as a support for plants? If so what has been the best you've found?

Last edited:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not me, I use a pole and string to support my pole beans when I grow them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The last two years I have been slowly moving toward self standing metal trellises for tomatoes, pole beans, cukes and peas. It all started with the clematis. They are much easier to install and remove than my old metal fence posts I used to support the bamboo, wire or cedar trellis. They have a slight bend to them that makes them stable. The metal trellis are pricey but they don't break under the weight of a lot of tomatoes, pole beans or cukes and blend into the garden.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
We pretty much live in our garden so the prettier the better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I can imagine you spending as much time as possible in your beautiful and bountiful garden, Jewell. Looks absolutely lovely. I'd like to spend every waking hour if possible there as it looks so inviting. Love your pup, too. Aren't pets such great gardening companions!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I can imagine you spending as much time as possible in your beautiful and bountiful garden, Jewell. Looks absolutely lovely. I'd like to spend every waking hour if possible there as it looks so inviting. Love your pup, too. Aren't pets such great gardening companions!:D
Pets are the best gardening companions. The little black and white guy in my avatar has kept me on my toes this spring though. He developed a liking to cole crops. I have had to get creative with fencing and netting. The little omnivore ate half of my first crop of lettuce, four collard plants ready to harvest and one good sized cauliflower plant. Hopefully I now have the beds "Max Proof":love::LOL::ROFLMAO:. He's been pretty creative for such a little guy. Both hubby and I can't help but break out in laughter when he tries to sneak a cole crop leaf as big as he is through the back door and into his kennel for a secret snack.:D:sick::ROFLMAO: All you can see is his little short legs going as fast as he can go with a big green leaf attached.:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lovely garden, @Jewell!
I have some similar decorative trellises that I'm currently using for the pole beans. I saw a garden on a veggie garden tour a couple of years ago where they'd used all manner of vintage bicycles as support for various vegetables. It was really charming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jewell, those self standing metal trellises are absolutely beautiful! They look very elegant. Your whole garden is gorgeous. It doesn't surprise me at all that you spend so much time there. If I had such a lovely garden, I'd start living in it:D

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I couldn't think of anything else except for wood. Chicken fencing is so unattractive so avoid using that but the cane is beautiful and it looks good in the garden.

Ask a Question