Aloha from Hawai'i!

ManoaRain

It's too dang hot
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah that was cheesy.

Anyways, I'm Em. I've been gardening in some form or another since I was 8 or so, though I honestly sucked. (I blame it on the soil, all silt and hard as Jotenheims ice rink.) I've finally been able to get my garden to agree with me, took long enough, and I've got to say my favorite plants have been the half wild arugula, lemon basil, and tomatoes that have been cropping up for the past three years without my say so. Shout out to the volunteer plants on behalf of every lazy gardener!

Currently I'm working on making everything mom compatible before I leave for college. We've always joked she's got a black thumb, but seriously, she killed a cactus. So I'm trying to figure out how to get everything out there as user friendly as I can make it. (Or failing that at least plant more of that arugula and lemon basil and let life find a way.)

So yeah. I'm green here and I haven't a clue in holy heaven what the culture and linguistics are like here, but hey, it can't be harder than understanding pidgin, right? Right? Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil

ManoaRain

It's too dang hot
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is this "pidgin" you are talking about? Just curious.

Haha, I understand that.

o_O

Welcome, ManoaRain! You live in an interesting place.

Hoping you stay with us for long! (y)

Glad to be joining y'all! Pidgin, officially known as Hawaiian Creole English, is the dialect some people speak casually over here. It's like if Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Portuguese, and English had a kid, and then that kid got drunk. Some people speak thicker pidgin than others, but I can tell you it can be quite confusing if you aren't familiar with it. Like "Ey Braddah howzit! Try come ova ewa side, dea shave ice yeah, broke da mout." Yeah, I don't know what you're saying to me. o_O

Hopefully I can fix things up so she won't kill everything. I still don't know how she killed that cactus, like seriously, how?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Em! That's a lovely part of the world you're living in.

Perhaps your mom isn't a cactus person and will 'bloom' when she takes over looking after the garden. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@ManoaRain I am excellent at killing cactus and succulents. Anybody who needs them killed, i'm the person to ask. "They just need a little bit of water" i have been told over and over again. I simply do not know how much a little bit is. I don't grow them for this reason, because i know they will end up dead. Unfortunately, from time to time people gift me a cactus. i was gifted 2 cacti and i was told their name and given their history and these were very special cacti. What could i say? First of all, cactus don't grow. They will just sit there for months and do not grow. This is too irritating. Maybe they would grow if i gave them a "little bit" of water, i feel sorry for them. Time passes, they don't grow. Then i see little mushrooms coming up in their grow pots, then i leave them out in a storm, more mushrooms and now they are soggy, mushy and dead and they never did grow. That's how people can kill a cactus.

Oh and welcome to the forums:) i think we have similar climates

Ask a Question