Aloe turns into water balloon, dies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a shallow planter full of aloe grown from pups transplanted into the pot last summer. It was doing fine indoors this winter, but recently, one of the plants started to grow long, thin, somewhat pale central leaves, which then turned into fluid-filled sacs, then the affected plant died, while the remainder of the plant looks like it might be OK, but the central leaves possibly look a little pale as well in the center of them, but I'm not really even sure about that.

The container is a wide, shallow terracotta planter with a drain hole, the soil is Miracle-Gro Citrus-Cactus& Palm, and a layer of fine gravel on the soil as a top dressing.

Is this a disease, a parasite, or - what?

Attachments

• IMG_3982.JPG
    IMG_3982.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3979.JPG
    IMG_3979.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Jude, welcome ! I think your aloe is overwatered and is probably suffering root rot. I also think that it needs to be divided and re potted into pots with a bit more compost - that is if the root rot hasn`t done complete damage.
Overwatering kills a lot of houseplants - during the winter months especially so it seems.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ahh, thanks. I believe that. After i gave it a monthly watering, the plant was doing so well, for being in a winter location in a window, that I started watering it more frequently to see if it would do even better - ooopps.

That thing was just five very skimpy little pups last summer, so at least I did something right...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There`s a good chance you can save it if you`re quick. Those best bits need a pot of their own for each one. Good luck, let us know how it goes ok (y)

Ask a Question