Alocasia Portora / Portodora - drooping problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey lovely people,

I brought home the above plant a week ago and have been struggling with drooping a lot. I definitely overwatered it on day 1 - it was already wet-ish to begin with so had probably been watered the day we bought it, and I added a good half a litre to the pot (plant is about 1m tall). The youngest / shortest leaf begun yellowing immediately and was drooping to the point where it touched the floor by the end of the day.

Another leaf soon followed suit.

A week's gone now, both leaves have gone completely yellow/dead, soil feels pretty soil to the touch and all the way down to a few inches deep, yet again another leaf has started drooping today (although still pretty green).

What is happening?

I am wondering now weather I have gradually transitioned to a dry/underwatered situation? or should I instead keep waiting another week before re-watering?

Lifted the pot today and noticed it probably isn't draining that well, some roots coming out of the holes too. So I could repot and make some good drainage layers - but then how is it that the plant was doing so well in that pot at the shop, before I got it?

Many thanks,
Nico

Ask a Question