Allowing Bananas to Ripen on the Plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I always pick my tomatoes before they're ripe for a few reasons: so nothing gets it; to keep the plant producing and it doesn't seem to affect the taste -- all reasons I pick tomatoes early.

I got into the habit of picking my bananas early, but I don't really remember the reason. I don't have to worry about too many animals getting at them, so I usually cut the entire bunch down once I see a little yellow. However, this guy (who does have to worry about animals getting his bananas) cuts the plant down in a way I've never seen/heard of. Furthermore, he says he would prefer to leave the bunch on the plant, if it were not for having to worry about animals, because they taste sweeter when allowed to ripen on the plant.

Two questions:

1) Has anyone ever cut down a large portion of the plant and allow the bananas to ripen (supposedly so the moisture gets into the bananas as they ripen). Notice he also has the banana bunch lower than the rest of the plant, so the moisture makes it into the banana bunch (See below Video).

2) Does anyone allow their bananas to ripen on the plant (in the ground), before eating the bananas? Have you noticed a difference?

I have one banana plant left with bananas waiting for harvest (I could cut them down now); however, I think I'll just leave them on the plant, but I'm not sure if this will work, because it's winter time and not sure how a frost will affect the bananas.

Interesting Video

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I always pick my tomatoes before they're ripe for a few reasons: so nothing gets it; to keep the plant producing and it doesn't seem to affect the taste -- all reasons I pick tomatoes early.

I got into the habit of picking my bananas early, but I don't really remember the reason. I don't have to worry about too many animals getting at them, so I usually cut the entire bunch down once I see a little yellow. However, this guy (who does have to worry about animals getting his bananas) cuts the plant down in a way I've never seen/heard of. Furthermore, he says he would prefer to leave the bunch on the plant, if it were not for having to worry about animals, because they taste sweeter when allowed to ripen on the plant.

Two questions:

1) Has anyone ever cut down a large portion of the plant and allow the bananas to ripen (supposedly so the moisture gets into the bananas as they ripen). Notice he also has the banana bunch lower than the rest of the plant, so the moisture makes it into the banana bunch (See below Video).

2) Does anyone allow their bananas to ripen on the plant (in the ground), before eating the bananas? Have you noticed a difference?

I have one banana plant left with bananas waiting for harvest (I could cut them down now); however, I think I'll just leave them on the plant, but I'm not sure if this will work, because it's winter time and not sure how a frost will affect the bananas.

Interesting Video

Can't grow bananas here but I have watched the video, we buy bananas and most of the time they're always green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’ve done both and there really wasn’t a big difference. The only time I did notice was when they were left on until they started falling off. Those were NOT GOOD. Very mealy and bland. It was an experiment and now we know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’ve done both and there really wasn’t a big difference. The only time I did notice was when they were left on until they started falling off. Those were NOT GOOD. Very mealy and bland. It was an experiment and now we know.
That's what I was thinking, much like tomatoes, they seem to taste the same regardless if you pick them a little early or when they're ripe.

Ask a Question