All of my herbs thrive, except my rosemary!

Reaction score
I've had a great herb garden going for a while now, and even after multiple expansions it's still going strong. I have dill, oregano, parsley, chives, rosemary, and a ton of basil. My herb garden is my favorite of everything I grow, and everything has been growing well and thriving since the beginning... but my rosemary has had nothing but problems.
If it grows to a decent size at all, the leaves don't look nourished and are brown-ish. Growing it at all has been a challenge, though. It just refuses to grow as well as the others.

Is this a common problem? Would it be happier if I planted it away from any certain other herbs? Any tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Are the plants indoors or outdoors? Are they in the ground or in containers? What zone are you in? Is this the same plant or have you consistently had trouble with any rosemary plant you try to grow? I have just started growing rosemary for the first time. I bought a smallish plant about a week ago that I have sitting outdoors in a terra cotta pot. I was worried about it in the heat and intense afternoon sun, but it seems to be doing just fine so far.

Reaction score
Mine wouldn't grow until I gave it a pretty good size pot with sandy soil. While it likes partial sun, it seems to prefer that it gets a good amount of sunlight over the entire plant for a couple of hours in the morning. It also doesn't like things too wet. I always wait to water it until the pot is pretty dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have barely watered mine at all since I got it. It doesn't seem to require all that much watering even though I have it in a terra cotta pot with an all purpose type of soil (blended with compost). From what I read it doesn't have to be taken indoors in my zone so I am hoping for the best outcome.

Reaction score
Are the plants indoors or outdoors? Are they in the ground or in containers? What zone are you in? Is this the same plant or have you consistently had trouble with any rosemary plant you try to grow? I have just started growing rosemary for the first time. I bought a smallish plant about a week ago that I have sitting outdoors in a terra cotta pot. I was worried about it in the heat and intense afternoon sun, but it seems to be doing just fine so far.

My herb garden is in my windowsill which gets a ton of sun this time of year - our summers are sunny and it's already around 100'F daily. All herbs are planted in the same large container (except my extra pot of basil!). I've tried three different rosemary plants over the last two years with the same results. I have not however planted the rosemary in a different container on its own. I wonder if I do water it too much. I think I will take it out of the herb garden pot and try it on its own.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have not however planted the rosemary in a different container on its own. I wonder if I do water it too much. I think I will take it out of the herb garden pot and try it on its own.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I think if you pot it on it's own it will do much better. I'm not sure about keeping it indoors, but since it has different water needs from all of the rest of the herbs giving it a home of it's own should make a significant difference. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!

Ask a Question