Alien Baby Carrots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my wife just picked some of her carrots from a large plant pot, does anyone have any ideas why they are so misshapen as we made our own planting soil according to several gardners and sieved out any stones.
The fork is there for scale.
Many Thanks,

Attachments

• 15F11A5F-DFAC-4603-B09E-6882E5C0EED2.jpeg
    15F11A5F-DFAC-4603-B09E-6882E5C0EED2.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1B69F82E-16C8-4C39-87CB-3E12010F6058.jpeg
    1B69F82E-16C8-4C39-87CB-3E12010F6058.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 27
Ad

Advertisements

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My "idea" would be the container and overcrowding...carrots need some space. I grow a lot of carrots but never in containers and never that crowded...just my idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As Meadowlark said plus it might be too much NPK. Carrots do this when overfertilized.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There might be a disease problem caused by leaf hoppers, or problems with microscopic nematodes, or maybe they just needed to be thinned out a bit more. They get deformed if they don't have enough space. I don't think a pot is the best place for them really - I tried some last year in a big supermarket basket (I gave it back afterwards) and they looked like yours only smaller :shame: If they don't have enough space, they don't seem to get enough water either.
The good bit is that they are still edible (y)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
There might be a disease problem caused by leaf hoppers, or problems with microscopic nematodes, or maybe they just needed to be thinned out a bit more. They get deformed if they don't have enough space. I don't think a pot is the best place for them really - I tried some last year in a big supermarket basket (I gave it back afterwards) and they looked like yours only smaller :shame: If they don't have enough space, they don't seem to get enough water either.
The good bit is that they are still edible (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, I am hoping very much so that it’s the later as it was my first thought, also it seems to be a common theme, too many plants, o small a pot. Yes they are sweet and delicious.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question