Alcatraz?

Reaction score
I was given a cutting of this beautiful plant 3 years ago, over here we simply call it ''Alcatraz'', but I'm sure as heck that's not the actual name of the plant (obviously, lol). I'd like to know more about this plant, not only its ''real'' name, but also how to make it bloom again. The pictures I'm about to show you... are of the plant when it was in full bloom (2 years ago), this year it didn't do that. But I can see another baby steam growing.

1016960_497379783670406_412976641_n.jpg

521678_497379707003747_872076161_n.jpg

1004643_497379790337072_1646198847_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, I also think that it's a White Calla Lily, my friend grows a plant like this too. Maybe I'll ask her for a cutting:D
It's gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
It's a beautiful Calla Lily, Trellum. I have an acquaintance that grows these and they are also white. They are beautiful flowers, aren't they:)

Reaction score
Yes I would agree with everyone so far, in that your plant is in fact a Calla Lily, otherwise known as an Arum Lily or Zantedeschia Aethiopica,

These hardy perennial plants, are fairly low maintenance and are often grown in flower beds, containers or even as indoor plants. They require well drained, but moisture retentive soil, with plenty of moisture and fertilizer during the growing season.
In warm climates, although these plants require full sun, they often prefer a bit of light shade in the afternoon.
These Lillies normally bloom in late Winter right through to end of Spring, which is when they normally start to die down and are best left to bake in the soil during the Summer months, after which, the Autumn rains normally reactivate the plants and the whole process starts all over again.

There is however, one very important thing that anyone with pets or children might wish to be aware of, when growing this plant, and that is - Calla/Arum Lillies are known to be toxic, with the roots being the most dangerous part, but the whole of the flower is also poisonous,

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the flower is a White Calla Lily. It's beautiful! :)

Thanks! I had been told it was just a Lily, but I didn't think it was that simple! Over here this kind of flowers are super popular, they appear in a lot paintings! Here is one:

Perfil+con+alcatraces+-+a.JPG

Thanks a lot :)

Reaction score
Yes, I also think that it's a White Calla Lily, my friend grows a plant like this too. Maybe I'll ask her for a cutting:D
It's gorgeous!

It is, but I'm afraid you will need more than just a cutting. You will actually need a bulb! So if your friend's plant has several already, then I don't think this will be a problem. You need to know what you're looking for when you're digging for it tho. Just try to be very careful when you did the bulb out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, I understand:( In the first post, you wrote that you had been given a cutting, so I thought that it will be this simple. But who knows, maybe my friend will be kind enough to let me dig for a bulb:cool:

Reaction score
In Northern California, at least, calla lilies are practically pests. They're just about the only thing that is guaranteed to grow and spread without any effort whatsoever on my part. But they are gorgeous :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In Northern California, at least, calla lilies are practically pests. They're just about the only thing that is guaranteed to grow and spread without any effort whatsoever on my part. But they are gorgeous :)
It must be heavenly to have pests like this!:D I wouldn't mind calla lilies to grow everywhere in my area. I'm sure that it looks wonderful! Are their flowers always white? Or maybe they come in different colors too?

Reaction score
Oh, I understand:( In the first post, you wrote that you had been given a cutting, so I thought that it will be this simple. But who knows, maybe my friend will be kind enough to let me dig for a bulb:cool:

I'm sure she will :) It's not such a big deal, and sorry I used the word cutting, lol. I should have said ''tubers'' instead, I don't know what I was even thinking in that moment :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sure she will :) It's not such a big deal, and sorry I used the word cutting, lol. I should have said ''tubers'' instead, I don't know what I was even thinking in that moment :p

Haha, lol, it happens to me too, when I'm reading my old posts or English essays, I always wonder what was I thinking about when I was writing them. For example, I can't tell you how many times already I wrote "it" instead of "eat":p
Anyway, it would be so wonderful if all plants could be grown from cuttings, it would make everything so much easier:D

Reaction score
It must be heavenly to have pests like this!:D I wouldn't mind calla lilies to grow everywhere in my area. I'm sure that it looks wonderful! Are their flowers always white? Or maybe they come in different colors too?

The ones out here are always white, and I assume wild ones generally are. But there are fancy bred ones nowadays in other colours, I've seen them in stores and at weddings :)

Reaction score
Yes I would agree with everyone so far, in that your plant is in fact a Calla Lily, otherwise known as an Arum Lily or Zantedeschia Aethiopica,

These hardy perennial plants, are fairly low maintenance and are often grown in flower beds, containers or even as indoor plants. They require well drained, but moisture retentive soil, with plenty of moisture and fertilizer during the growing season.
In warm climates, although these plants require full sun, they often prefer a bit of light shade in the afternoon.
These Lillies normally bloom in late Winter right through to end of Spring, which is when they normally start to die down and are best left to bake in the soil during the Summer months, after which, the Autumn rains normally reactivate the plants and the whole process starts all over again.

There is however, one very important thing that anyone with pets or children might wish to be aware of, when growing this plant, and that is - Calla/Arum Lillies are known to be toxic, with the roots being the most dangerous part, but the whole of the flower is also poisonous,

Thanks for the info, Gata Montes :) I finally know why this poor thing hasn't been able to bloom this and last year. I was told I was supposed to let it die during the winter, so it could grow again during the spring/summer time and that way I'd be seeing more flowers! Because so far I've taken this plant inside during the cold months (my mistake) I guess the poor thing needs some rest to renew itself.

Reaction score

I heard the same happen in New Zealand :) The Calla Lilies seem to grow like a wild species over there, and spreads like the fire during the summer/spring months!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eWestie

Latest Threads