After trenching... Sod? Seed? Prep?

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My yard was recently trenched for new drainage pipe and a new electrical run from house to the garage. If I had to guess there is about 400-500 sf of dirt that now needs to be dealt with ASAP as I have a large dog and it is getting extremely difficult to deal with washing him every time he goes out.

Keep the dog in mind as well as a bad creeping charlie issue I have currently in the yard that I have been trying to deal with by manual removal.

To have a company come out and install sod, the quotes I have received are within the $650 range. To purchase it myself I could cut that in half but sod is hard to find by me right now. The sod I did find runs anywhere from $3.50 to $5.60 a roll which is 5' X 2' I believe.

The other option is seeding and then covering with hay of some sort to keep the dirt/seed from being disturbed by the dog, etc. I am just not sure this would all take at this time of year or if it would be worth it.

I live in Illinois and currently we are looking at 50-60 degree days and 35-40 degree nights.

In regards to the creeping charlie, when the trenches were dug and then back filled, this mixed the weed into the soil and now it is all over.. Should I treat with anything or CAN I even treat with anything prior to seed or sod install?

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thank you all in advance!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Now is not the time for you to try to establish a lawn, either by seed or sod. The creeping charlie can be taken care of by a broadleaf weed killer, but you'll need to do it now, and again in early spring (we lived in upstate NY for many years, and had creeping charlie all over when we moved in). Just settle for getting the creeping under control, till the area where you want lawn, sow seed in March or April (check with a reputable nursery or extension service--I'm not 100% certain about the timing), keep the seed bed damp, and when the grass begins to come up and is about 1" tall, fertilize very lightly with a complete fertilizer. The creeping charlie that reappears can be taken care of with spot weed killer. Eventually it will give up and move over to your neighbor's lawn:)!
This worked for us in zone 6, and should for you in your zone. Good luck!

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great! If I put a broadleaf weed killer down will it effect the soil and it's ability to allow future seed/grass to grow?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Read the instructions on the broadleaf weed killer you select. It will tell you how long before you can plant after application.

Ask a Question