After the okra disaster last year, ............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.....when I got a "wild hair" to plant Clemson Spineless instead on the tried and true and VERY prolific Emerald okra, you would think that I had learned my lesson, but nooooooooo........I just HAD to try Straight Yellow Squash, this year, instead of staying with the Crooked Neck Squash. I got beautiful, HUGE plants and the size of the squash would put a Munchkin to task, not to starve. Ripped them ALL out, this morning, and headed to Lowe's to get Crooked Neck plants.....too late to start from seed, for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I used 12-12-12 when I tilled in, but is your fertilizer scheme hotter than that? My clemson spineless is up and so are most of the yellow squash, pic and pic hybrid and a crooked neck of some sort because old seeds need to be used. No zucchini this year. Well maybe, if some yellows do not arise I may recant and plant a zucchini there. Trying to avoid zucchini hell, ya know?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A few years ago I raised “Baby Bubba” okra. It grew like crazy and had beautiful flowers. The okra itself was smaller than Clemson but the texture and flavor were outstanding. It was almost slimeless. For the life of me I can’t remember where I bought the seeds. :mad: Burpees hybrid is not as good as the ones I had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Smaller would not be a bad thing especially if they are tender. Here the spineless grow so fast it it is a daily pick for tender okra or Becky relegates them to the compost pile. I tried topping them once to make them bush out but I think I waited too late. They are really tall late in the season.

Ask a Question