After Some Advice Please

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The fence along my neighbours is a tall black wire one so very "see through". I have Acanthus growing all along the fence line so it gives us all some privacy. However in summer when they die off it's very open again. I don't actually mind so much but the neighbours had lined there side with rolls of brush fencing. This sagged and looked pretty terrible so they have pulled it down. A few years ago I planted Elephant Ears intermittently along the fence line thinkig that they'd grow tall and bulk out and be a feature along the fence. After some of my Elephants Ears had suffered over our hot summer it occured to me that the Elephant Ears don't like too much sun so the position along the fence won't suit them in summer. I thought of Echiums as I want something that will be quite sculptural but I don't they'd like being smothered by the Acanthus for a substantial part of the year..
My dilemma is finding something striking that doesn't mind being over crowded and covered and wet in winter and autumn and then out on its own in summer to deal with the elements on its own.
Any ideas please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you looking for an evergreen plant? I guess if you've got a wire fence then you could also consider a climber, but I don't know if that's sculptural enough...?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Becky. I have actually planted some climbers. Originally a climbing rose, tried a couple of Boston Ivys which have been cut, I like to think accidentally, when the neigbours cofused them when they removed their brush fencing . Just this week I planted 3 American Honeysuckles but I'm still after a "bit of a statement" so to speak. I have a couple of white lilacs, cuttings from my sister, which are doing quite well . They don't seem to mind the conditions. Mmmmmm, it's a pleasant dilemma ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bamboo springs to mind, it would certainly be sculptural and provide a good screen. Guess it depends on how much room you've got though!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Bamboo springs to mind, it would certainly be sculptural and provide a good screen. Guess it depends on how much room you've got though!
Great idea Becky.. I have lots of room. I'll look into the clumping bamboo asap. Once I've decided I like to get things planted so they can start growing immediately .:confused::LOL:. Just a tad impatient I'm afraid . I agree with a friends philosophy. Once she's made up ber mind she wants things done immediately , yesterday would be better but today will do. :rolleyes:.
And you're right, the bamboo woukd be quite sculptural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds lovely when ruffled by the breeze too :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20180612_192142.jpg
This gives an idea of the length of the fenceline so I'm guessing I'll need atleast 5 bamboos. It would be impossible to form a full fence unless I used the invasive bamboo but that would eventually be a problem.. I've investigated some bamboos and found a Tiger Grass under the bamboo heading but which is actually a grass . I really like it. It doesn't cope with frost so I'm wondering if the acanthus would protect it from the froist over winter. Also thr Fountain Bamboo looks to have a nice shape.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
It is a shame Sheal. Thanks for the thought. I'm sure we'd enjoy a nice cuppa and chat with the exchange. Im sure I'd have a cutting or two I could give:)

Ask a Question