Aechmea (Bromeliad) grow season

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hi there,

I'm brand new to this forum, and bursting with questions!

My first question concerns my aechmea bromeliad. I've read that they should be very gently fertilised with a spray bottle every month during their growth season, but I'm not sure when their growth season is. I got mine in October last year and it's been in flower the entire time. In December-January it was really stunning, with little purple jewels inside the pink bloom. These have since gone and the bloom is generally looking less vibrant, although some baby plants are now appearing at the base.

If anyone has any information/experience they can share, I'd love to know how I can take better care of my lovely plant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately bromeliads, with the exception of a few genera, bloom only once. New plants will grow, but often they need a lot of help to produce a new flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, ‘mama’ has done her thing and will gradually fade away. Now the ‘babies’ will take over. Since you’re growing it indoors it doesn’t have a growing season so you can feed it anytime. From Spring to Fall it will have more light and will respond more noticeably. Once the babies get as big as mama you can stimulate blooming by putting the WHOLE plant in a clear plastic bag with a ripe apple or banana for a month then after about 3-6 months it should bloom.
Hope this helps.

Happy plant parenting

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Yes, ‘mama’ has done her thing and will gradually fade away. Now the ‘babies’ will take over. Since you’re growing it indoors it doesn’t have a growing season so you can feed it anytime. From Spring to Fall it will have more light and will respond more noticeably. Once the babies get as big as mama you can stimulate blooming by putting the WHOLE plant in a clear plastic bag with a ripe apple or banana for a month then after about 3-6 months it should bloom.
Hope this helps.

Happy plant parenting
Oh wow, this is really exciting! So there's no need to separate the babies from mama?

Ask a Question