Advice to revive Pachira Aquatica

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’ve got this lovely plant as a rescue project.

As you see, it’s grown very tall but with a ‘bald’ stem which is not only aesthetically less pleasing but also makes it top-heavy and hard to manage.

My instinct say to cut and propagate from the stem as I would with a rubber plant, however, I’ve never dealt with this type before. The top is healthy and still growing, so I want to be sure my efforts are not causing any harm.

Any help would be great!! :)
C018984C-9FC9-43FA-97AB-96845A584567.jpeg
3C1B327C-7C3A-4B93-9D30-E304A8482530.jpeg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Murphhy :)

I think your instinct is spot on, although the very best time to cut and propagate this on would be springtime. You can see how many times it has already been cut, and I suspect it started out with one of those plaited trunks. It seems to have been left somewhere that has a light source on one side, and it hasn`t been turned regularly to give it even growth.
You can do these cuttings either in compost or water, although the roots that emerge will be quite fragile if you root them in water, and will need care when planting up.

Jolly good rescue though (y)

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question