Advice to new grower.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve played around a little in the past but this year decided to try a little more. I’m looking for a little insight and constructive criticism on what I’m growing, pruning and production.

Squash and zucchini aren’t really producing female plants and when I do I’m hand pollinating because I’m not getting pollinators.

Peppers are struggling.

Tomato’s are starting to produce but lower leaves (just cut) are starting to fade and turn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
About the only thing I see that I would consider ill advised is growing in too small a container and planting more than one plant in a container of that diameter. And speaking of pollinators, I saw the exact same thing since my squash started making blooms. Only last Friday did I start seeing any pollinators at all. I had a few female flowers and I hand pollinated some of them but they still aren't normal. And I am sure you are having unseasonably hot weather too so that is also a major factor. In my experience tomatoes should be planted in a minimum of a 5 gallon bucket and planted singularly. But, there is nothing we can really do about the pollinators or the weather.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Too many plants in too small an area would be my take also. If you have access to those empty cattle protein tubs, they give a much larger planting/growing area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I know this for next season. I put 2-3 seeds in each hole and never expected all to take. I’ll be more cautious next year with the space. Thought more would produce more…thanks for that advice!

Abs yes, the heat is bad right now. Louisiana heat is just getting started too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, I know this for next season. I put 2-3 seeds in each hole and never expected all to take. I’ll be more cautious next year with the space. Thought more would produce more…thanks for that advice!

Abs yes, the heat is bad right now. Louisiana heat is just getting started too.
I think you will be more successful if you plant your seeds singularly in a seed starting container. It is much easier to maintain the correct moisture and heat levels in a small container. Also, it's much easier to move inside when temps drop. You can start seeds earlier too and have larger transplants if you have room in a heated area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you will be more successful if you plant your seeds singularly in a seed starting container. It is much easier to maintain the correct moisture and heat levels in a small container. Also, it's much easier to move inside when temps drop. You can start seeds earlier too and have larger transplants if you have room in a heated area.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I will do that for next season.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You might be able to salvage part of this season by taking a sharp pair of scissors to the base of the multiplant pots taking out the weakest looking of the extras. You need not disturb the root systems of remaining plant... just cut the main stem at the base of the weaker plants. This might be a way to salvage some production.

Ask a Question