Advice on soil mixture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This will be my third year of growing vegetables. The last 2 years I have had problems with blossom end rot. This year I plan on growing tomatoes, green onions, broccoli, green beans and few different types of peppers. The tomatoes will be grown in a raised planter(only 2 plants). The rest of the veggies will be in containers. I have a couple of questions.
1) Would a 20 inch container be sufficient to grow in?
2) After reading as much info as I could find I was thinking of the following for a soil mixture: black kow, coco coir, vermiculite and azomite. Would this be good to use, if not what you recommend? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This will be my third year of growing vegetables. The last 2 years I have had problems with blossom end rot. This year I plan on growing tomatoes, green onions, broccoli, green beans and few different types of peppers. The tomatoes will be grown in a raised planter(only 2 plants). The rest of the veggies will be in containers. I have a couple of questions.
1) Would a 20 inch container be sufficient to grow in?
2) After reading as much info as I could find I was thinking of the following for a soil mixture: black kow, coco coir, vermiculite and azomite. Would this be good to use, if not what you recommend? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Applying Epsom salt to your vegetables will stop blossom end rot IF you have alkaline soils. ES helps plants in alkaline soil to uptake calcium and phosphorous. I don't know about what it does in acidic soils.

Ask a Question