Advice on sale

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi~
I'm not really sure how to go about this but since I enjoy growing stuff my poor apartment is full of my plants.
I grow about any seed I come in contact with and regularly reroot my cutting of plants etc so I was considering maybe selling them off.
I know I could easily do online options and stuff but I figured reaching out to some local gardening clubs might be helpful?
I honestly don't know.
I have red delicious apple sproutings, Lemon (Meyer and non), Wisteria, Devil's Ivy, Spider plants , Umbrella plants, Cantaloupe and other such things. I'm sure they won't sprout fruit for many, many years but I thought maybe bonsai enthusiasts might be interested in them?
Overall I guess I could just use some overall good advice on how to go about selling these things other than just jumping on Amazon or EBay or something. Honestly I would prefer to deliver the plant to the person locally or to an establishment because transporting plants via shipping USPS paranoise me a bit...
Any advice would be most welcome!
Thank you~

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Go to hardware stores, feed stores, grocery stores. These types of stores sell plants and if you can sell them to the stores cheaper than they can buy them from a commercial grower they might take them off of your hands. Otherwise, all I know how to do is word of mouth and a roadside stand.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Go to hardware stores, feed stores, grocery stores. These types of stores sell plants and if you can sell them to the stores cheaper than they can buy them from a commercial grower they might take them off of your hands. Otherwise, all I know how to do is word of mouth and a roadside stand.
Thanks Chuck!
That was about as far as my plans went so at least I wasn't so far off the mark.
I genuinely just enjoy growing stuff but it's come to a head. Its too much and more coming :)
It would be cool to get even a minor profit off of what I am going to do anyways but I could always try and give them away too I just don't know anyone who wants like 20 baby apple tree's and the like.
I celebrate Christmas so Merry Christmas Eve even if you do not celebrate it. You have my warm wishes today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck!
That was about as far as my plans went so at least I wasn't so far off the mark.
I genuinely just enjoy growing stuff but it's come to a head. Its too much and more coming :)
It would be cool to get even a minor profit off of what I am going to do anyways but I could always try and give them away too I just don't know anyone who wants like 20 baby apple tree's and the like.
I celebrate Christmas so Merry Christmas Eve even if you do not celebrate it. You have my warm wishes today.
Unless your fruit trees are grafted I doubt if there will be many takers, even for free. But house plants are a different animal. You could, for instance, put up an add at anyplace that had a bulletin board saying free houseplant if you buy one and leave your email. You could even leave a few around on consignment or make a sales deal with the store owner. Vegetable plants will be more difficult to get rid of because in the great scheme of things not many people have a garden and it is difficult to grow vegetables indoors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless your fruit trees are grafted I doubt if there will be many takers, even for free. But house plants are a different animal. You could, for instance, put up an add at anyplace that had a bulletin board saying free houseplant if you buy one and leave your email. You could even leave a few around on consignment or make a sales deal with the store owner. Vegetable plants will be more difficult to get rid of because in the great scheme of things not many people have a garden and it is difficult to grow vegetables indoors.
Yeah the veggies I wasn't too fixated on. I just wanted to name the types of stuff I have in general, I didn't know if it would be helpful or not. The plants, those are a problem. I just root all my cuttings they sprout more babies later.....I could potentially have a farm of these things from one base plant.
I was hopefully someone might take the fruit trees though. Even without fruiting as they are. I might try and contact some "plant a tree" type foundation and see if they would be able to rehome them. I just don't want to willingly off them. It would be sad for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah the veggies I wasn't too fixated on. I just wanted to name the types of stuff I have in general, I didn't know if it would be helpful or not. The plants, those are a problem. I just root all my cuttings they sprout more babies later.....I could potentially have a farm of these things from one base plant.
I was hopefully someone might take the fruit trees though. Even without fruiting as they are. I might try and contact some "plant a tree" type foundation and see if they would be able to rehome them. I just don't want to willingly off them. It would be sad for me.
With a fruit tree grown from seed one never knows what type of fruit it will produce. It might (doubtful) have the same traits as the parent tree but, more likely it won't. That and the years of waiting and care one must give a tree makes it even a dubious gift. If it was taken from a cutting it will have the same traits but still years before production.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With a fruit tree grown from seed one never knows what type of fruit it will produce. It might (doubtful) have the same traits as the parent tree but, more likely it won't. That and the years of waiting and care one must give a tree makes it even a dubious gift. If it was taken from a cutting it will have the same traits but still years before production.
I did look into growing them before I did and knew that much about the fruit trees...I'm just kind of panicking now because I have trees that have not yet died off as I thought they would ages ago. I am going to contact some Bonsai course places and see if they want free material. I'm pretty positive about some possibly being grabbed that way. I didn't honestly think i'd be able to grow fruit trees in an apartment. How could that possibly work out?
I wish this type of luck applied to the lottery.

Ask a Question