Advice on a cottage garden?

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what plants, shrubs and trees would work best in a cottage garden. I need them to be very low maintenance and affordable as well. I plan to create several different pathways throughout using stepping stones and I am open to any suggestions on the layout of the garden. Eventually I would like my yard to be whimsical and look like something out of a story book or a Thomas Kincade painting.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
At the moment I have no suggestions on what to plant, where are you located that will have something to do with what you can plant. Your desire to have your garden look at a Thomas Kincade painting is very inspiring, I would love to see pictures when you get it completed.

Reaction score
I'm in zone 5. I'm starting the planning well ahead of time as we're in the process of purchasing a large piece of land to start our new homestead. Eventually, we will also be adding a pond and gazebo but will be doing most of the work ourselves to keep the costs low. I'm still learning and really enjoying using the internet for ideas and inspiration. I will most definitely be posting pictures of the progress!

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what plants, shrubs and trees would work best in a cottage garden. I need them to be very low maintenance and affordable as well. I plan to create several different pathways throughout using stepping stones and I am open to any suggestions on the layout of the garden. Eventually I would like my yard to be whimsical and look like something out of a story book or a Thomas Kincade painting.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Hi and welcome Living Life when you say that you are wanting something whimsical and you would very much like your yard to look like one of Thomas Kinkades paintings - are you meaning something along these lines

Thomas Kinkade- A Quiet Evening.jpg

Thomas Kinkade painting.jpg

Thomas Kinkade - Seaside Hideaway.jpg

Thomas Kinkade - Gazebo 1.jpg

Which if you are - have to say that apart from being a wonderful idea and that although there are very many beautiful easy care plants that I could suggest - the one plant variety that I would suggest considering first - is roses of every type from hybrid teas to the climbing and rambling varieties - as they never fail to create a cottage garden look and they will grow in your Zone too :)

Ask a Question