Advice Needed on Soil Preparation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hey, all! First-time poster on this forum, here. It's been about 15 years since I've done any gardening, and I was hoping you could all give me a few tips on how to prep soil for planting.

I live in Northern Colorado - so I have some idea of what I want to grow, I'm just not sure how to go about fertilizing and what soil type to use. I am just moving into a new house, so I'll be re-landscaping the front/back yard. Any suggestions on good, organic means of preparing flower beds/planters for good growth?

Also, if anyone has tips on Sunflowers, please do let me know. I've always wanted to try my hand in growing them!

Warm Regards, all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, all! First-time poster on this forum, here. It's been about 15 years since I've done any gardening, and I was hoping you could all give me a few tips on how to prep soil for planting.

I live in Northern Colorado - so I have some idea of what I want to grow, I'm just not sure how to go about fertilizing and what soil type to use. I am just moving into a new house, so I'll be re-landscaping the front/back yard. Any suggestions on good, organic means of preparing flower beds/planters for good growth?

Also, if anyone has tips on Sunflowers, please do let me know. I've always wanted to try my hand in growing them!

Warm Regards, all!
Whatever soil you end up using you should incorporate copious amounts of organic mater into it. Doesn't much matter what you use, be it compost, leaves, old manure etc. What you want to do is to enrich the soil by feeding the micro organisms in the soil, the bacteria and fungi, which together break down the organic mater into nutrients which your plants need to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I always use a mixture of top soil and mushroom compost. Soil I'm not too picky on because I have a plastic liner under the soil to stop weed growth (top soil is just good old unfiltered dirt that will grow weeds). The best fertilizer in my opinion is manure or mushroom compost.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Enigma,

A good, all-purpose formula ~

1 part organic compost, 1 part vermiculite or horticultural grit, 1 part peat moss

Be sure to diversify the makeup of your compost

Ask a Question