Advice growing Avocado from the pit

Reaction score
I have probably tried to make several grow by hovering the pit in water with tooth picks in a jar, but I must be getting the cursed ones because I have already failed to grow about ten of them. They say they are extremely hard to grow, but I must be doing something wrong as the percentage of failure is too high. Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried and failed myself I'm afraid! :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most avacados are picked when immature and therefore impossible to sprout. These days with the big commercial farms it will be very unlikely to ever get a mature fruit as they pick them at a green stage and they ripen during storage and shipment

Reaction score
Have you sliced off a thin slice at the top and bottom of the seed. The bottom section would be where there is a scar from where the avocado was attached to the tree. The seed should sit in around 1/4" of water and the water should be changed regularly. Also keep it in bright light but not direct sun. Chuck is no doubt right on what he posted but try this and see what happens.

Reaction score
I have grown a number of avocado trees from seeds. I just put the toothpicks around them and place them in a glass of water with the big bottom down and the pointed top up. I place it in a sunny window. I keep the water changed every couple of days so it does not get nasty. Once the pit has a good sprout coming up, I just put it in a pot of good soil and place it in a sunny area. They actually grow quiet fast. You need to cut the top back a bit if you want your tree to branch.

Reaction score
Yeah I have grown one before when I was like five years old, and even the immature seedling can grow into a full grown oak! I mean that is what the monks always said about the runts who didn't seem to have the will to fight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a first year one thriving in my garage now. Just stuck a pit beside a tomato plant in the container and it grew. Regular potting soil, hot summer and plenty of water (timed water every day). Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most avacados are picked when immature and therefore impossible to sprout. These days with the big commercial farms it will be very unlikely to ever get a mature fruit as they pick them at a green stage and they ripen during storage and shipment
And even if it does sprout are you willing to invest a minimum of 6-9 years before the first avocado?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
grew one in my early 30's for the fun of it, had it for about 2 years. then chucked it. too much other nice house plants out there to deal with. do not recall an issue. sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines

You are right. Immature fruits wouldn't give you mature seeds hence the percentage of success in fertilizing the pit (or seed) is not encouraging. What I can suggest is for you to choose a mature fruit. There are avocados here that are so mature that roots are already sprouting from the pit. For sure that kind of pit would make you successful to have a seedling avocado. Select the bottom that is brownish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The main way I know is by not removing the green flesh-like part from around the seed at center. The way it works is by cutting slices on the avocado from top to bottom all around it. Peel away the skin, of course to allow the new plant to break through. It can be placed in soil or placed in a jar with wet newspapers (not too much water). Remember how we used to grow small peas like this? It's a similar idea. Then you can transplant the newbie.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tried many times to sprout a seed some have been successful but they never got larger than a stem.

Ask a Question