Advice for my mums herbs? Pic below

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I thought I would join up here because I want to get better at growing my own plants that I can eat.
My mum has this pot of herbs she says she thinks they are dying. I think they might need a good prune but
if you can offer any advice it would be much appreciated!! I think there is going to be a lot of trial and error
but my goal in 5-10 years is to become self sustainable.
Thanks!! :)

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.52.32 am.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What I would do first after watering them is repot into separate pots. The prune slightly (no more than a third of the growth). They need a lot of light too, the spot where you took this photo doesn't appear bright enough. In my experience oregano will get HUGE. I had one in my garden that I used to joke about was going to eat the entire town. Now, I could be wrong - the only one I grow indoors is Rosemary in the winter since it will not survive here outside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Feathers
I see they are being grown indoors?
Rosemary is the herb situated at approx 10 o'clock in the picture. It is an evergreen herb and grows very well (meaning hardy) outside in a sunny, somewhat dry area. It is leaning over which suggests that it is dehydrating and in need of some water.
As @posiepurrs has suggested, it would be wise to repot them individually.
I see a label on the right hand side (3 o'clock position), that should give you some care instructions to follow.

How long has your Mum had the pot? Has she kept it as an indoor pot since purchase? How much sunlight is the pot getting? While herbs can be grown indoors, on a sunny windowsill they thrive outside rather than inside.

I wish you well in achieving your goal of being self-sustainable in 5-10 years time :)

Ask a Question