Acorn Squash seed from the squash

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I bought an acorn squash for diner and saved the seeds. Can these be dried and planted? I have heard that fruit from commercial stores often will not grow. I'd like to try these for this growing season.
How long must I dry the seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought an acorn squash for diner and saved the seeds. Can these be dried and planted? I have heard that fruit from commercial stores often will not grow. I'd like to try these for this growing season.
Yes, they can. Just clean and dry the seeds for about a week. Place them on a paper towel and cover with a paper towel in a warm place. If the squash was a hybrid variety you probably won't get the exact same squash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, they can. Just clean and dry the seeds for about a week. Place them on a paper towel and cover with a paper towel in a warm place. If the squash was a hybrid variety you probably won't get the exact same squash.
Thanks. I think I'll give it try. I'm raising a lot of things from seed this year. Two sweet potatoes that have yet to sprout any slips just yet. Vidalia onions from seeds, tomatoes, n such.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. I think I'll give it try. I'm raising a lot of things from seed this year. Two sweet potatoes that have yet to sprout any slips just yet. Vidalia onions from seeds, tomatoes, n such.
Once you get the hang of growing from seed there are so many more varieties available than the plants you are forced to buy. I have been searching for the Holy Grail of tomatoes for over 50 years and I hope I never find it. That is the fun of growing something that you have no idea if it will grow in your soil or climate. And you can save a lot of money growing from seed. You can even grow the plants that you would normally have to buy for pennies instead of dollars per plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been trying to save seeds from butternut squash (a winter squash) for a few years now with 0 success. The dad burn thing has to lay there attached to the vine about all year before the seeds become fertile, way longer than the early time to start eating them.

I would imagine the butternuts at the store are picked fairly early too and the seeds are not fertile yet, although I'm not positive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been trying to save seeds from butternut squash (a winter squash) for a few years now with 0 success. The dad burn thing has to lay there attached to the vine about all year before the seeds become fertile, way longer than the early time to start eating them.

I would imagine the butternuts at the store are picked fairly early too and the seeds are not fertile yet, although I'm not positive.
Perhaps the seed need to dry for a longer time. Maybe a year in a nice dry place,

Reaction score
Country
United States
I learned something this season: squash can be hybrid. I saved seeds from acorn squash last year and planted them. The fruit did not look like acorn squash. It would appear the seedlings I bought last year were hybrid. I did some online research and found out that planting squash seeds from non-heirloom seeds can result in not only a different-looking fruit, but also unpleasant side effects if eaten. I discarded the plants and fruit, so no home-grown acorn squash for us this year. Not worth it for a four-pack of squash plants for $2.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I started saving Butternut seeds a few years ago. 1st year I only had 1 seed germinate out of 10. the second year from the same set of seeds I had 8 of 10 germinate.
Now I am in a good place with 2 year seeds taking every year. Not sure if it really takes that long orif I did something wrong that 1st year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started saving Butternut seeds a few years ago. 1st year I only had 1 seed germinate out of 10. the second year from the same set of seeds I had 8 of 10 germinate.
Now I am in a good place with 2 year seeds taking every year. Not sure if it really takes that long orif I did something wrong that 1st year.
I've tried to save Waltham Butternut seeds with 0 success. I can't tell when the squash is ripe enough. The dent with the fingernail thing doesn't mean seeds are viable, good enough to store maybe. They must have to sit on the vine all year long or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've tried to save Waltham Butternut seeds with 0 success. I can't tell when the squash is ripe enough. The dent with the fingernail thing doesn't mean seeds are viable, good enough to store maybe. They must have to sit on the vine all year long or something.
I used some anarobic kitchen compost in some holes this year and found the seed from tomato and butternut came up as vounteers. I wonder if they like the fermentation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used some anarobic kitchen compost in some holes this year and found the seed from tomato and butternut came up as vounteers. I wonder if they like the fermentation?
I ferment my tomato seeds and they do great. Didn't think about doing it to the winter squash. Don't have to with summer squash.

Ask a Question