Above ground sprinklers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I need to redo the yard and grass. The previous owner did not install any above ground sprinklers(estimate to install inground sprinklers is above $5000). I am considering manually laying out the sprinklers once a week before winter comes. I am also going to have my landscaper reseed, so I need to have the sprinklers ready. Does anyone have a sprinkler system they daisy chained? Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've seen using tuna cans as a way to measure the output of sprinklers. Set them out and compare the depth of water to each other. Seems like a good ideal as a way to move the sprinklers around to get the most even output no matter which type of sprinkler you use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So the water pipe is only so large of a diameter. Since it is round the area of the circle must be calculated to answer your question in a way that is relevant to you. If the hole opening size of your sprinklers are larger than the size of your supply you will lose pressure. One problem is the holes in most hose bibbs are not full bore, and are actually quite small. However full bore valves are available but I do not know your plumbing codes. Additionally to reduce pressure drop at the end of the daisy chain a second hose pipe to feed from the source to the far end of the daisy chain would prove functional but not practical.

An example is my neighbors garden. He has 6 post mounted sprinklers using spray tips with 6\32" diameter orifices. His pipe is 1 inch, or 32\32". Because the 6 sprinklers running at the same time is an area greater (6x6=36\32") than the pipe the sytem fails. His solution is to only run 4 at a time. He could replace the tips with smaller orifice tips.

Last edited:

Ask a Question