About tree DORMANCY

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
Hello,
Im in 6-7 hardiness zones and i planted some red oaks, english oaks and black walnuts directly in soil at the end of summer and i hope they will grow.
I planted one small english oak sapling in pot and put it inside house. It sprouted 4 leaves 2 inch big.
The question is: i quess i confused that little buddy thinking its spring already, so what will happen to it in next seasons and should put it out in march pr april? How dormancy is important in general for decidous trees and on evergreens?
I have some small buxus wich are inside all the time. How it affect on them since they dont freeze outside at all?
I guess its not big problem for them but the probably grow slower that way.
Thanks,
Edin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your English Oak (Quercus robur) kept indoors will probably be fine if planted out next Spring. Though it is true that sometimes a plant can be stressed by being kept 'awake' through its dormancy. A mature plant could also have its flowering cycle skipped or thrown off-schedule by missing dormancy, though that wouldn't be a concern with a sapling.
Boxwood (Buxus) doesn't go completely dormant, but it certainly will grow slower and even change color in cold weather. How long have your Boxwood been inside? Perhaps they adapt well to bright indoor conditions.

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
I have 15 small buxus' grown from cuttings. 2 years old. Occassionaly they grow some new leafs but i think they would go more vigorous if i put them out last spring. Few of them even dryied out.
At the beggining of spring i will repot them all and put outside. Hope they will all survive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That sounds best.
Small plants are often grown in greenhouse conditions for awhile to increase growth, but sooner or later hardy plants will benefit from being outsoores, experiencing the temperate, seasonal climates to which they are adapted .

Ask a Question