About Hügelkultur

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I find the concept of hugelkultur fascinating. Apparently, it consists of making raised plant beds on top of decaying wood and other biomass. A photo is attached here for reference:

Garden%2C_12_Apr_2012_%286925991616%29.jpg

Anyway, I want to find out if there's anyone here who has first-hand experience in doing this for their garden. What problems do you face and is it really a sustainable way of enhancing your garden?

Further, does this method work in the tropics?

I look forward to your replies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would think it would be great for the dirt and help with drainage if you had a problem
It would be just reversed of what you find in the woods , Fallen trees slowly decaying and melting in to the top

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The hugelkultur form of gardening is also very interesting to me. I like the idea that we do not throw out any thing and help to use natures materials back into the ground instead of the landfill. There is another thread on this subject that has very important information on using hugelkultur form of gardening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have one. I did it to help with disposal of filbert trees that were diseased and had to be taken out. It was my way of dealing with stumps and some pieces of wood that wouldn't fit in the wood stove.

I believe it to be a wonderful way to enrich the soil and add moisture retention. I barely did any watering, and probably wouldn't have had to do any if my dogs hadn't excavated parts of the hill. I will hopefully construct a second this summer.

My first year I didn't wait to plant until the soil settled around the wood. I live close to the port in an older part of town. Because the city allows chickens (3 hens) we have seen an increase in rats. If you live where this or other rodent/critters might be a problem create the hugle the summer prior to planting the following spring. Critters will find and make their homes in the spaces between branches and logs if given half a chance. Letting the hugle settle would be wise.

Of course I didn't do this and had some critter problems. From my plantings I got a huge supply of cabbage, kale, bush beans, collards, cucumbers, wide variety of winter squash and tomatoes. My dogs hunted the critters digging up portions of the hugle and plants. This winter I have been slowly clearing the winter veggies. I will plant later than usual making sure we don't have any unwanted spaces for unwanted tenants.

I have seen some that were surface high and not raised. A Google image search should give you some great photos of how some people have constructed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like the idea,and makes a lot of sense on many fronts.
But! yes there is always a 'but' my biggest concern would be creating a termite condo in areas (like mine) that are not so dry. When the building boom started here in the late forties common practice was to bulldoze the trees into a big pile, and then bury them. The practice started a termite invasion on Long Island, that still persists to this day.

Ask a Question