A Wonder of Nature - Beautiful

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Amazing.
10574487_10152683674051970_2295831240874058761_n.jpg

GrowVeg
"Diphylleia grayi" (Skeleton flower) ~ The petals turn transparent with the rain. Amazing! Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Reaction score
Although I do find this flower very pretty and extremely interesting too :D

I have to say that - as to the best of my botanical knowledge - although Diphylleia Grayi commonly known as The Umbrella Leaf Plant - is widely available and normally grown for its attractive fuzzy green umbrella shaped foliage - I've not heard of it ever being grown for its photo-shopped flowers.

Which says to me that - as none of the many nurseries that do sell this plant - don't actually have any plants whose flowers go translucent when they are wet and there is no reputable mention of this plant or even any botanical records relating to this plant having glass like translucent flowers when wet - unless someone can come up with some actual evidence that this plant really does exist - I think that this is just another case of someone having some fun - in the hope that people will spread this around the internet - without first checking where it originated from or even it it was true.

So as I said - much as I think this flower extremely intriguing and apologize if it sounds like I¡m trying to knock it - but until someone can convince me otherwise - with information from a reliable and reputable source - as far as I'm concerned - I really believe this to be nothing more than a photo-shopped flower being circulated around the internet - purely for fun :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's one of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen! I love it, it's gorgeous! These petals look like glass. I hope they aren't photo-shopped. I want to grow this plant in my garden! :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this link, ACSAPA. I've just checked it. I believe those flowers are real:love: It can't be just photoshop!
Some plants are truly amazing:)

Reaction score
Mesmerizing, pat! Thanks for sharing! To be honest I had never seen such a beautiful thing in my life, what a wonderful thing! Lovely flower! It's so unique, I'd love to have a plant like that :) I wonder if I'll be able to find that abroad?

Reaction score
Wow !!! Those are absolutely stunning !!! I have never seen any flower like that and I hope it wasn't photo shopped. ( I hate when people do those things :( ) I will be doing some research on these for sure. I live in Florida and have no clue if they can even be grown here. The kids would love this and find it so fascinating. This would be a great flower to do a project on in school for the kids.
Thanks for sharing this. :)

I am always amazed at the beauty God has created!! :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is such a beautiful and delicate looking flower and I have never seen before either. It is fascinating to see how it turned translucent in the rain. Nature is just gorgeous and God's creation never cease to amaze me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Your image wasn't showing up for me so I googled "skeleton flower" which produced the proper name, then I googled again and looked at the image results. I've never heard of this flower, but it is pretty neat how the flower petals transform. As much as it rains here sometimes, they might spend more time sheer than opaque, lol.

These would be great in a classroom or school garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is an amazing flower and I would love to have a garden full of them. My friends and neighbors would not know what to think of them if they saw them. I would be the talk of the community. They seem magical in a way. I wonder if this is some sort of defense mechanism to keep bugs away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Truly, truly an amazing plant....I wonder if they'll grow in western colorado? I couldn't read the Japanese script on the website. OOps maybe I could get google to translate for me....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's a pretty awesome flower. It kind of reminds me of moths/butterflies with transparent wings.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was reading through your replies with interest. I live on an Island in the Puget Sound, Zone 8, and last year, I noticed these glass like flowers growing in my next door neighbors front yard. Sometimes they were white but after awhile, they syayed transparent. They are NOT shotoshopped!!! This is a real flower. A friend up here who is with Master Gardeners sent me a picture on my FB page, and I told her about the plant next door. She did not know they grew in the PNW. So to clear up the mystery, if you live in the right zone, you can grow t

Ask a Question