Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
"Winter is the time to appreciate the bare bones of your garden."
image.jpg
I do like a pretty garden so I can find my winter garden a bit drab but if I take the time to really look there are great images, this one like a geometric painting!!!!
I'm sure a lot of you fellow forum buddies have wonderful "real" winter gardens with real snow and real cold.
Ths is my Japanese Powton Tree. It's hard to imagine it in full bloom...in Spring, our September through November, full of purple tubular flowers, looking magnificent and pretty. Now it's looking magnificent and bold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It would be perfect if it wasn't for that one leaf in upper left :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Indeed...I like the garden in winter but when all the leaves fall my back yard and deck doesn't seem so private because I see my neighbors' houses again.
I planted some ornamental grasses this spring and need to get some more in. Something that grows big and stays feathery and upright all year for "winter interest."

Reaction score
I love winter, I like it way more than this awful season... summers are just not my thing, some people love them, but others like me don't appreicate the sun burns and the scroching tempereatures. Plus winter gardens don't look bad at all ;) I appreciate that beauty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Winter has its own beauty for sure, but less colors as far as flowers. The sky sometimes has such beautiful hues and the barren tree can make a breath-taking image.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Believe me, there is nothing worse than real snow and real cold;) I hate winter! But I love looking at leaveless trees. They're beautiful, their branches look like dark lace:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Believe me, there is nothing worse than real snow and real cold;) I hate winter! But I love looking at leaveless trees. They're beautiful, their branches look like dark lace:)
I like that analogy Claudine. I'll make a point of thinking of black lace when I look at barren trees. Thanks for the positive imagery. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Indeed...I like the garden in winter but when all the leaves fall my back yard and deck doesn't seem so private because I see my neighbors' houses again.
I planted some ornamental grasses this spring and need to get some more in. Something that grows big and stays feathery and upright all year for "winter interest."
Good luck with the your search for the big and ever- feathery, BethB. Please share your finds.
We have at tall black mesh fence adjoining our neighbors and along it I have acanthus growing but it dies off, actually virtually disappears, in summer so you can see straight through. I have tried a few things but when the acanthus grow back it tends to smother things. I have planted 3 Virginia Creepers along it but this is taking a while, I think because of the acanthus being so overwhelming. About 2 years ago I planted several elephants ears and they are actual strong enough to give the acanthus a run for their money. You can still see into the yard but it seems a little less invasive, luckily it's quite a distance from our house so it isn't really a privacy issue, more maybe an aesthetic one, maybe even territorial, I'm not quite sure.:confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
The shedding of leaves does make the tree look artistic but not the yard :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The shedding of leaves does make the tree look artistic but not the yard :LOL:
How right you are Grouie!!!! ;) Maybe whilst the leaves maintain their autumn colors they manage to get away with looking good but after that they're just plain untidy.o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Winter brings its own beauty.

This is an old photo that I took, 400 yards from us, but I used filters.
scan.jpg

Everything else is without filters

Across the road from us
P1020572.JPG

and further along the road
322_2219.JPG

In our garden. If there was a robin in the picture this would make a good Christmas card :)
P1020566.JPG

P1020541.JPG

321_2186.JPG

322_2206.JPG

322_2208.JPG

321_2178.JPG

P1080589.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India

View attachment 7525

Everything else is without filers

Across the road from us
View attachment 7528

View attachment 7524

In our garden. If there was a robin in the picture this would make a good Christmas card :)
View attachment 7527

View attachment 7529

View attachment 7520

View attachment 7521

View attachment 7522

View attachment 7523

View attachment 7526

Summer or winter rain or shine you have the best (y)(y)(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland

View attachment 7525

Everything else is without filters

Across the road from us
View attachment 7528

View attachment 7524

View attachment 7527

View attachment 7529

View attachment 7520

View attachment 7521

View attachment 7522

View attachment 7523

View attachment 7526
Those photos are beautiful! I especially love the one with filters, because it looks magical, it makes me think about fairy tales:)
But the truth is that I like winter only in pictures;)

Ask a Question