A true survivor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
DFC67D68-BA5C-4D6D-BF9C-200198B961EF.jpeg
last year when I moved from Florida to North Carolina I took a few plants along. One was my old chive plant. I have had it for several years. On the trip up it fell over and sat upside down for a couple of days. From all appearances it was dead so I just stuck it next to the barn and left it. It spent the winter outside and was covered with snow several times. I just got back from a quick visit to Florida and this is what was setting next to the barn. I am going to repotit and give it a place of honor in my garden. Maybe it will teach some of the other plants to quit being such wimps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Agreed they are often over looked and are very hardy. A nice addition to a perennial garden imo. I often imagine they will be hybridzed further for aesthetic reasons, they seem to be getting more recognition now adays which is nice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I think your chives look lovely silentrunning. I'm off to a lovely nursery tomorrow with a couple of avid gardener friends so I'm very excited:). I was thinking I might add chives to my shopping list but I remember I did have chives in a rather neglected garden bed. After hearing your story about their resilience I might check my plant out before I leave in the morning.
The nursery I'm heading off to has reasonably priced topiarys and I want 2 spiral ones to go in 2 metal planters I pulled out of my "Hot" garden....reds, yellows, oranges, nothing to do with temperature. They were hidden, invisible really so I intend giving them a new lease of life in another "room" in my garden. My turn to drive. It's not a big car so I'll clear the boot. Between the 3 of us my car will no doubt fill up ;). It is amasing just how many plants one can fit into a small space.....boot, floor , seats, laps(y)

Ask a Question