A tool that can remove grass cutting from the lawn

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am a newbie to lawn care and need some advice on lawn care. We’ve got two small lawns and we are using manual lawn mower for them, together with a pair of shears to trim the edges. We tried to avoid any electrical/gas stuff as I am very clumsy. We bought that back grass collecting tray thing but that’s useless as it drags on the grass when slow down and can’t cut well otherwise. So imagine each pass and the left over grass just left on top. For the past year, we have been trying to use a leave rake, and bloom and a tray to pick up the left overs. I am not sure if the rake is the best option as it might claw and damage the root(?)

We also have a crape myrtle in the middle of one of the lawn in case that matters.

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A rake will not damage the grass, and if you want to remove it a grass rake is best.
1617488275578.png
one like this is great.
If there isn`t much there to collect, it is a good idea to leave it on the grass as it will feed the grass for you and make it better ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've a Flymo Ultraglide, it's a few years old, (like seven or eight) it has a fan at the back as big as the blade and picks up most of the cut grass as long as it isn't too long.
Some bad reports from people who can't be bothered to mow their lawn often enough and expect too much.

i use a strimmer for "edging" where the lawn meets the path om the right. On the left there's brick edging, the Flymo just passes over the bricks as it cuts the grass.

P1040413.JPG

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Tetters.

I’ve been using the yard butler “world’s greatest rake” for a year now. It looks similar to what you have in the picture. It’s just every time when I rake and if I don’t airlift / hover and let the weight of the rake hit the lawn, it felt like it is tearing/pulling the grass off. Almost like dethatching the lawn.

It also didn’t helps when I have hole patches on the lawn and I’ve been trying to repair with those Scott’s thing but that didn’t work, probably because I was doing something wrong as newbie consider they supposed to have guarantee results in 30 days. At the end - still patchy grass, snails from watering, and afraid of damaging the lawn more...

or am I supposed to hover and not drag?

Thanks
A rake will not damage the grass, and if you want to remove it a grass rake is best. View attachment 77846 one like this is great.
If there isn`t much there to collect, it is a good idea to leave it on the grass as it will feed the grass for you and make it better ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is almost impossible to damage the grass. Grass just wants to grow. Don`t cut it too short and don`t worry about giving it a jolly good hard raking - it will be fine - promise !!! Any grass that is left behind will dry up and blow away anyhow, so it really isn`t a big deal. I think you worry too much .

Give the grass a watering first thing in the morning, or last thing in the afternoon during very prolonged dry weather.

PS.... There is no need to water the grass all the time unless it is especially dry - you`ll flood it. If you have patches just chuck a handful of seed on them.

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Tetters.

It is almost impossible to damage the grass. Grass just wants to grow. Don`t cut it too short and don`t worry about giving it a jolly good hard raking - it will be fine - promise !!! Any grass that is left behind will dry up and blow away anyhow, so it really isn`t a big deal. I think you worry too much .

Give the grass a watering first thing in the morning, or last thing in the afternoon during very prolonged dry weather.

PS.... There is no need to water the grass all the time unless it is especially dry - you`ll flood it. If you have patches just chuck a handful of seed on them.

Ask a Question